Brad Nicholson’s late brace sees Guiseley earn a point at Leamington

TWO late goals from Bradley Nicholson salvaged a point for Guiseley in a 2-2 draw at 10-man Leamington in National League North yesterday.

Sunday, 1st December 2019, 4:12 pm
Guiseley's Brad Nicholson.

It was a far from ideal start for Guiseley as they fell behind as Joe Clarke hit a fine effort from just outside the box which flew into the bottom corner of the net.

The Lions had two chances of their own with Aram Soleman seeing a shot easily saved while Kennedy Digie tried an overhead kick that required Leamington goalkeeper Jake Weaver to get a hand to the shot.

Another real moment of quality saw the hosts score again, Josh March watched a looping whipped cross go just over his shoulder. He timed the effort to perfection and fired in on the volley.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

While Guiseley tried to put pressure on the home side’s defence, it looked like they would be able to see more of the game out, that was until a red card was awarded.

Aaron Martin was brought down and Stephen Morley was sent off with the referee judging that he was the last man.

Guiseley would score just moments later, when Nicholson saw his first effort from the free-kick blocked but on the rebound his shot hit the inside of the post and went in.

Momentum was now with the visitors and with time running out, Nicholson was in the right place to level the scores, with a corner finding him free to head in. Neither side could create a clear-cut chance in added time, so the points were shared.

Guiseley joint-manager Marcus Bignot was pleased with his side’s comeback.

He said: “It really was a game of two halves. I was pleased with how the second half went and for Brad to get his goals. He’s a great character in the dressing room.

“We want to be challenging around the top end of the table and this can hopefully help us as we head into some important games. Guiseley are back in league action on Saturday as Brackley Town visit Nethermoor Park.

Farsley Celtic netted a late equaliser in a 1-1 draw at Hereford.

The Celts went close to opening the scoring at Hereford when James Spencer’s looping cross hit the bar and Nathan Cartman was flagged offside after tapping in. It was home winger Taylor Allen, though, who made the breakthrough on 68 minutes and, after Alex Bray was controversially disallowed a second for the hosts by an offside flag, Jack Higgins tapped a Will Hayhurst cross in at the death to snatch a point.

Centre-back Billy Priestley gave Bradford Park Avenue a surprise lead at promotion hopefuls Chester on the quarter-hour mark when he netted from a corner.

But second-half efforts from Anthony Dudley and Akwasi Asante consigned Avenue to a sixth straight league defeat and the visitors ended the game with 10 men after Isaac Marriott was red carded.


A second-half brace from Tommy Wright ensured Harrogate Town slipped to a 3-1 defeat at Sutton United in the National League.

After an uneventful opening half hour, Sutton broke the deadlock when Craig Eastmond’s ball in behind the Town defence was headed past James Belshaw by Beautyman from close range.

Town threatened to equalise two minutes before the break when George Thomson’s volley was blocked by Ben Goodliffe.

The visitors did level the scores in the 68th minute when Josh Falkingham got in front of his marker to claim Jon Stead’s flick on, before rounding the goalkeeper and rolling the ball over the line.

The two sides were level for only a matter of minutes as Wright fired home into the top corner, leaving Belshaw with no chance.

Wright then made sure of victory for the home side with three minutes left.

He cut in from the left to curl the ball into the far corner and send Town to a second defeat in 14 games.

York City ended their surprise mini slump as Jordan Burrow grabbed his seventh goal of the season during a 1-0 home victory over Alfreton in National League North.

The Minstermen had followed up a club record run of 21 games unbeaten with three straight defeats but got back to winning ways with an 11th clean sheet of the campaign.

Burrow converted David Ferguson’s left-wing cross at the end of a sweeping move on 13 minutes.

Former York striker Amari Morgan-Smith came closest to denying his old club a welcome three points when his half-volley hit the crossbar.

Second-placed City remain two points behind league leaders King’s Lynn Town ahead of Tuesday’s trip to Hereford.


WITH nearly half the league programme wiped out on Saturday due to the cold weather attention focused on the relegation battle at the foot of the BetVictor League North West Division.

Basement-side Pickering Town picked up only their second victory of the season when they defeated the team immediately above them in the table – Dunston – 4-1.

Flynn McNaughton opened the scoring for the home side after 27 minutes only for Luke Page to equalise for Dunston eight minutes later.

Two quick-fire goals in three minutes just after half-time from Daniel Earl put Town well in control at 3-1 up before McNaughton completed the scoring just after the hour mark.

The result means Town are now level on points with Dunsto, although the Gateshead-based team have eight games in hand on their Yorkshire relegation rivals.

Ossett United had a day to forget as they crashed to a 6-1 defeat at Clitheroe.

United were only 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go but a flurry of late goals made the scoreline flattering for the home side. Tom Greaves netted Ossett United’s goal.

Yorkshire Amateur bowed out of the FA Vase at the third round stage after a 2-1 defeat at West Auckland Town – Ashley Flynn scored the Ammers goal.

In the Northern Counties East League Premier Division, seventh-placed Garforth Town were defeated 4-2 at home to Maltby Main with Sean Hunter netting the Town goals.

Knaresborough Town also tasted defeat, going down 3-1 at home to leaders Penistone Church.

Andrew Cooper got the hosts back into the game with a goal on 57 minutes but Penistone proved too strong.

In Division One, eighth-placed Nostell Miners Welfare were beaten 3-0 at Brigg Town.

All other games involving our local teams were postponed.