Added-time heartache for three-goal Guiseley

CHESTER'S TOM SHAW bagged an injury-time equaliser to deny Guiseley a precious three points in a Bank Holiday Monday cracker that ended 3-3 at Nethermoor.

Tuesday, 29th March 2016, 7:06 am
Updated Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 4:37 am
Halifax hot shot Connor Hughes.

In a battle of two sides too close to the drop for their own liking, it was heartbreak for the hosts.

Guiseley nearly took the lead after a neat counter attack, with Emile Sinclair finding Gavin Rothery, who fired just wide.

This was end-to-end stuff with Chester almost scoring when Ross Hannah struck from 25 yards out. His effort was well saved by Guiseley goalkeeper Steven Drench.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Guiseley should then have got the opener when James Hurst had a free run on goal. He worked his way into the area but his effort was straight at Jon Worsnop.

The away side then took the lead just before half-time when they took advantage of a lapse of concentration in the home defence with Hannah able to hit a powerful low drive past Drench.

While Guiseley pushed forward, it created more room for Chester who tried to play on the break, and former Stoke forward James Alabi did a fine job of holding the ball for the visitors.

Guiseley’s Gavin Rothery had two efforts when just outside the area, but on both occasions the shots were easily saved.

The host’s then grabbed an equaliser when Sinclair was found from a corner, and from a yard out he headed the ball into the top corner of the net.

Guiseley were then 2-1 up when a ball across the face of the goal was tapped across the goalline by Will Hatfield.

The home fans though had little time to celebrate as Kane Richards took possession of the ball from another counter attack and scored to level the up proceedings once again.

Guiseley hit back in added time when Sinclair was in the right place at the right time for the hosts.

But there was heartbreak as Chester equalised yet again in added time when Shaw got his foot on the ball to nick a point.

Guiseley are back in action on Saturday at Eastleigh.

Elsewhere in National League North yesterday, relegation-battling FC Halifax Town slipped to a 4-1 reverse at Barrow – their heaviest defeat under manager Jim Harvey.

Jordan Williams’ third goal in two games gave Barrow a deserved half-time lead, which was added to minutes after the break by Andy Cook and Jason Walker.

Halifax’s Connor Hughes scored his second in two games before substitute Ben Tomlinson added some gloss to the score for the hosts in added time.

The Shaymen return to action on Saturday at Dover.

In National League North, Harrogate Town’s promotion bid suffered another jolt in a 3-1 loss at Bradford Park Avenue.

Chib Chilaka scored from outside the box for the second game running, and Ryan Qualter doubled the advantage just before the half-time interval.

Dylan Mottley-Henry grabbed his first Avenue goal with two minutes to go before a stunning consolation from Harrogate top scorer Brendan Daniels deep into injury time.

Town welcome Stalybridge Celtic on Saturday while Avenue go to Solihull Moors.


National League: Aldershot 2 Braintree 1, Altrincham 1 Southport 1, Barrow 4 Halifax 1, Boreham Wood 3 Dover 0, Bromley 2 Forest Green 2, Guiseley 3 Chester 3, Kidderminster 0 Tranmere 2, Lincoln City 1 Gateshead 1, Macclesfield 2 Grimsby 1, Torquay 0 Eastleigh 1, Welling 2 Woking 1.

National League North: Bradford Park Avenue 3 Harrogate Town 1, Chorley 0 Stalybridge Celtic 0, Curzon Ashton 0 FC United of Manchester 0, Gainsborough Trinity 1 Alfreton 1, Solihull Moors 4 Corby Town 1, Stockport 0 AFC Fylde 4, Tamworth 1 Boston United 2.


ROBERT BORDMAN struck a decisive double as Ossett Albion jumped above Farsley Celtic into ninth with yesterday’s 3-1 success at Brighouse Town in the EvoStik League First Division North.

Bordman opened the scoring after 21 minutes and then doubled the Albion advantage eight minutes after the interval.

Ernest Boafo gave the home side hope with his 71st-minute penalty but Albion’s Abdou Bojang hit back eight minutes from time.

Farsley Celtic had to settle for a 1-1 draw at second-bottom Harrogate Railway. Aiden Savory gave Farsley a 36th-minute lead but Chris Ovington levelled for Railway eight minutes after the break.

Third-bottom Ossett Town’s hosting of New Mills was among the games postponed due to the weather.

Scarborough Athletic bagged a last-gasp 2-2 draw at Spennymoor Town. The hosts raced into a 2-0 lead inside 21 minutes through goals from Joseph Tait and Andrew Stephenson but a Christopher Mason own goal three minutes after the hour set up a nervy finale. The Seadogs bagged a share of the spoils through Joe Lamplough’s last-minute penalty.

In the Premier, Frickley Athletic fell to a 1-0 reverse at Grantham Town whose Dylan Burns hit a 70th-minute winner.

Whitby Town’s home clash with Darlington 1883 was postponed while Goole AFC’s hosting of Loughborough Dynamo in First Division South was another game falling foul to the elements. Every game in the NCE League was also off.


EvoStik League Premier Division: Blyth Spartans 3 Workington 0, Buxton 3 Matlock Town 0, Colwyn Bay 0 Marine 3, Grantham Town 1 Frickley Athletic 0, Halesowen Town 2 Stourbridge 0, Hyde United 0 Ashton United 4, Ilkeston FC 0 Mickleover Sports 2, Ramsbottom United 0 Salford City 4, Rushall Olympic 0 Sutton Coldfield Town 1, Skelmersdale United 0 Nantwich Town 1. First Division North: Bamber Bridge 0 Clitheroe 1, Brighouse Town 1 Ossett Albion 3, Droylsden 3 Radcliffe Borough 3, Glossop North End 5 Mossley 1, Harrogate Railway Athletic 1 Farsley Celtic 1, Kendal Town 2 Lancaster City 2, Northwich Victoria 1 Trafford 2, Prescot Cables 0 Burscough 3, Spennymoor Town 2 Scarborough Athletic 2, Warrington Town 4 Witton Albion 2. First Division South: Carlton Town 0 Basford United 1, Chasetown 1 Stafford Rangers 0, Coalville Town 1 Gresley FC 0, Kidsgrove Athletic 1 Market Drayton Town 1, Shaw Lane Aquaforce 1 Belper Town 0, Spalding United 0 Lincoln United 0, Tividale 0 Romulus 2.