Battling Guiseley earn point in thriller

Nicky Boshell
Nicky Boshell
Have your say

Guiseley grabbed a lastminute equaliser as they gained a 4-4 draw against Woking in an entertaining game of non-league football.

Guiseley grabbed a lastminute equaliser as they gained a 4-4 draw against Woking in an entertaining game of non-league football.

After this incredible match Guiseley manager Mark Bower said: “We didn’t do the basics well and we let four goals in, but I have an overriding sense of pride to come back from 2-0 down early on and get something out of this.”

The Lions were two-nil down within the first 15 minutes with Johnny Goddard grabbing both goals, the first from a free-kick which looped in, then he was found in the area from a Godfrey Poku run and was able to slot the ball into the back of the net.

This back and forth game next saw Guiseley halve the deficit, with defender Rob Atkinson coming forward for a corner and being in the right place to get the goal.

With five minutes to go until half-time, Guiseley drew level at 2-2 with Will Hatfield putting in good work in midfield and finding Nicky Boshell who tapped home.

But to the amazement of the home fans Woking got back in front before the end of the half when defender Brian Saah was found at a corner with the last chance of the opening half and he headed home to make it 3-2.

Guiseley started the second half well and substitute Tom Craddock was finally able to get his first goal for the club, when he hit a sweetly struck effort that nestled into the corner of the goal.

But Woking were back in front soon after striker Dan Holman beat the offside trap and delivered a cool finish.

With just minutes to go Wayne Brooksby was stopped from scoring thanks to an interception, but just when it looked like Guiseley were to leave empty-handed, a long throw found Jake Lawlor who tapped home and sent the Nethermoor fans into a frenzy.

Guiseley: Drench, Toulson, Lockwood, Parker, Atkinson, N Boshell (Brooksby 55), Hatfield, Thompson (Porritt 78) Lawlor, Boyes (Craddock 68), Dickinson. Substitutes (not used): S Dickinson and D Boshell.

Woking: Cole, Caprice (Pattie 89), Saah, Poku, Arthur, Thomas, Andrade (Daniel 65), Cardwell, Goddard, Keohan, Holman (Sole 82) Substitutes (not used) Jones and Hamann.

FC Halifax Town remain in the bottom four after being held 1-1 at home by Kidderminster Harriers. Gurjit Singh (11) opened the scoring for Harriers but Town levelled through CJ Hamilton (67).

Promotion-chasing Harrogate Town won 4-0 at lowly Conference4 North rivals AFC Telford United.

A great performance by Simon Weaver’s men saw Brendon Daniels notch a first-half brace, with Jordan Thewlis and a late Dom Knowles penalty wrapping things up for second-placed Town. Harrogate were given a helping hand by Yorkshire neighbours Bradford Park Avenue, who drew 1-1 with leaders Solihull Moors. Chib Chilaka (5) gave Avenue an early lead before Billy Priestley saw red for the hosts five minutes later.

Bradford held on until the 83rd minute when Jack Byrne forced the equaliser.


Tadcaster Albion kept up the pressure on NCE Premier Division leaders Worksop Town with a 4-0 win at Liversedge.

Jimmy Beadle (25), Daniel Clayton (41), George Conway (70), Adam Baker (75) got the goals for Tad’.

Bridlington Town are third after a fine 5-1 win at Albion Sports, while Garforth Town also won on the road at Cleethorpes Town.

Trailing 1-0 at half-time, Luke Mangham’s 75th-minute penalty levelled things before Mark Simpson’s winner with six minutes to go made it a happy trip back from the coast.

Pontefract Collieries pulled themselves away from the bottom end of the table with a 1-0 win at Rainworth MW thanks to Aaron Moxam’s 63rd-minute penalty.

Pickering Town triumphed 4-1 at Athersley Rec’ and Nostell MW went down 2-1 at home to Handsworth Parramore. Fidel Mhlolo (33) with the hosts’ goal.

Win of the day came in Division 1 where Eccleshill United thrashed Grimsby Borough 9-1, with Luke Harrop bagging a hat-trick and And Andy Cooper, four.

Selby Town took a seventh-minute lead through William Pepper but eventually lost out 3-1 to leaders Hull United.

AFC Emley won 5-0 at Teversal, Alex Hallam (44) and Jordan Townsend (45) just before the break, with Ashley Flynn (50 and 59) and Kieran Ryan (64) adding gloss for the sixth-placed victors.

Joel Hughes’ 37th-minute penalty gave Yorkshire Amateur the lead but hosts Shirebrook Town hit back to win 4-1.

Glasshoughton Welfare picked up their second victory of the season, 3-2 at home to struggling Lincoln Moorlands Railway.

Leon Cusworth (28), Steve Palfrey (60) and Ryan Smith (83) were on target for Welfare.

Hemsworth Miners Welfare kept up their unbeaten start to the campaign, thanks to a 4-2 success at Knaresborough Town. Nash Connolly bagged a hat-trick for Welfare (12, 68 and 70), with Shane Kelsey adding the other on the hour.

George Eustace (29) and Bradley Walker (78) for Town.

Worsborough Bridge Athletic crashed 3-0 at Winterton Rangers.


Two late goals from Steve Hall sentenced Ossett Albion to a 2-1 defeat at Droylsden in the FA Cup First Qualifying Round.

Danny South’s ninth minute header looked set to send Albion through but Hall pounced in the 71st and 82nd minutes to capture victory for the home side.

Whitby Town face a Wednesday replay after drawing 1-1 at Salford City who missed a penalty.

Adam Gell gave the Seasiders the lead after Mikey Roberts’ penalty was parried to him, but Salford equalised through Dom Smalley just after the hour.

Brighouse Town went out 2-0 at home to Newton Aycliffe after having two goals ruled out for offside, while Farsley Celtic lost 2-1 at Witton Albion. Alex Titchiner broke the deadlock for Witton just before half-time, Lewis Nightingale equalised in the 56th minute and Jamie Matthews settled it with an overhead kick for the home side four minutes later.

Thackley must visit North West Counties side Abbey Hey tomorrow night for a replay after hitting back from two goals down.

But Frickley Athletic were 2-0 winners at Maltby Main, extending their unbeaten run to seven matches with first half goals from Royale Johnson and Jacob Hazel.

Harrogate Railway Athletic well and truly came off the rails at Trafford in First Division North as they were hammered 6-0.

Jack Dorney scored twice, including a first half penalty. Two goals in each half saw Ossett Town beaten 4-0 at Radcliffe Borough and in First Division South, Stocksbridge Park Steels recovered from conceding a 42nd-minute penalty to seize an equaliser through Daniel Critchlow just three minute after the interval.

Sheffield lost 3-2 at unbeaten Stafford Rangers where Stuart Ludlam and Shaq McKenzie were on the mark for the visitors.