When it comes to life-saving skills, these pupils are top of the class!

Darren Lorimer and Craig Wilton from St Johns Ambulance students
Darren Lorimer and Craig Wilton from St Johns Ambulance students
Have your say

Youngsters are given the chance to put First Aid skills to the test by St John Ambulance staff. Laura Bowyer reports on how they got on

PUPILS at a Leeds school are now top of the class when it comes to learning lifesaving skills.

Youngsters at Leeds West Academy were given the opportunity to put their first aid skills to the test in the classroom.

They were taught how to administer CPR, how to apply bandages and what to do if someone chokes.

Among them was 12-year-old Kavan Megson.

The year eight pupil said: “I have learned how to help someone when they are choking and how to perform CPR.

“I feel like I will know what to do in an emergency and I think all kids should learn first aid.”

Charlotte Pickersgill, 12, added: “I have learned how to put people in the recovery position.

“It has made me more confident if someone was choking because I would be able to help them.

“It was easier than I thought it would be and I think that all children should know what to do in an emergency.”

Kate Sandham, foundation school leader, has backed the Yorkshire Evening Post’s First Aid For All campaign to recruit an army of lifesavers in Leeds.

The YEP has teamed up with St John Ambulance to offer special courses to train 500 people in Leeds with basic first aid skills.

She said: “I think it is incredibly important for children to learn first aid.

“The young people in school were very interested in the demonstration.

“This is something that the school is very keen to get behind and you don’t realise straight away how children could be placed in a situation where their skills could be of use.”

St John Ambulance volunteer Darren Lorimer, who lead the sessions with the pupils, said: “These children are the difference between life and death.

“First aid is as simple as giving someone a plaster.

“This is lifesaving and these children will go home and tell their parents about what they have done.

“Instead of calling their neighbours if there is a problem at home they will have the confidence to administer first aid themselves.

“Everyone should do it because first aiders like me can’t be everywhere.

“The more people who learn it then the more people who will be around to help.”

Stephen Ewen, 62, of Cookridge, who died of sepsis in 2017.

Devastated Leeds family share sepsis warning after much-loved dad ‘killed in hours’