Watch: Leeds Elland Road boxing match abandoned after brawl

The scene of last night's mass brawl at a boxing match at Elland Road
The scene of last night's mass brawl at a boxing match at Elland Road

Police are investigating after a mass brawl involving 40 people, and leaving three people needing hospital treatment, broke out at a boxing match in Leeds.

West Yorkshire Police described Saturday night’s incident, at Leeds United’s Elland Road ground, as “large scale disorder” while the club added it was “disgusted” at what unfolded.

The Pavilion suite had been hired for the white collar event but the main fight, between boxers Mikey Bourne and Mark Holmes, didn’t get to go ahead due to the violent scenes, where punches and chairs were thrown.

Police were called just before 10.30pm after the disorder broke out and crowds dispersed but three people received hospital treatment for “minor injuries”.

Staff at Leeds United worked through the night to clear up damage and debris in time for other functions but said

it will no longer host any further white collar boxing shows. A club statement said: “We are disgusted by the violent scenes caused by a small group of individuals. We pride ourselves on successfully hosting major conferences and events within the venue and do not condone the actions of these individuals.

“Event staff from Elland Road had been in contact with the relevant authorities prior to the event and we provided more than the required level of trained security personnel on site for such an event.

“We will continue to work with West Yorkshire Police to help to identify those individuals involved in the incident.”

Around 700 tickets were sold for the fight organised by Golden Gloves Boxing Promotions which is based in Essex.

Organiser Danny Morgan said: “People started throwing chairs and as soon as that happened the place went mad.

“I have been involved in boxing since I was seven and have never seen anything like it.

“We have been working on this for months to make sure everything was safe and had more security than is required but you could not have predicted what happened. It was crazy and I want to apologise to the genuine people that came to support the fighters.”

WARNING: The video contains violent scenes and explicit language