Wakefield knife attacker jailed

editorial image
Have your say

A homeless man carried out a vicious knife attack on man who invited him back to his house and made sexual advances towards him.

Matthew Byford, 22, slashed his victim across the legs and stabbed him in the buttock during the incident at the house in Wakefield.

Byford, 22, of no fixed address, committed the offence while on bail for his part in the violent robbery of a man in his own home.

He was jailed for five years and four months yesterday after pleading guilty to wounding with intent, robbery and two offences of assault.

Carmel Pearson, prosecuting, said Byford, Marcin Zolnowski and a third man, who is still on the run from the police, carried out the robbery on December 1 last year.

The men went round to the home of Andrew Tingle and Mark Jordan on Parkhill Crescent, Eastmoor, and were allowed in to drink whisky.

During the evening the three men demanded money from Mr Tingle before forcing him to the floor and kicking and punching him. He was knocked unconscious and awoke to find his wallet, credit cards and mobile phones missing.

The trio also attacked Mr Jordan before leaving the property.

Later that evening Byford attacked another man at Wakefield bus station.

Onlookers who raised the alarm described the violence used as Byford punched and kicked his victim as “sickening”.

Byford was arrested over the incidents and was on bail when he carried out the knife attack on March 29 this year.

He was approached by the victim who offered to help Byford as he was homeless and searching for cigarettes in the street.

The man offered to buy Byford a drink in a pub in Wakefield city centre before taking him to a cash machine and then back to his home.

Miss Pearson said the victim was homosexual and Byford later claimed the invitation to go back to the property was “not as innocent as he thought”.

Byford knocked the man unconscious in the attack.

The man was covered in bruises and scratches to his body in addition to the knife wounds.

Christopher Dunn, for Byford, said he had been living rough in a disused chapel and alcohol had been the cause of his violent behaviour.

Zolnowski, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to robbery and assault.

Timothy Bubb, mitigating, said he had come to the UK from Poland in search of a better life but had turned to drink when he lost his job in this country.

He was jailed for two years and 11 months.

Celebration of Rhinos legend John Atkinson's life following the church funeral servic at  the Headingley Pavilion. 1978 Challenge Cup final captain David Ward speaks.
19th January 2017.  Photos: Jonathan Gawthorpe

‘He stood out in every way’ - emotional tributes at funeral of Leeds rugby hero John Atkinson