Violent drunk beat Leeds police officer with bedside lamp

Two female police officers were viciously attacked when they went to arrest a violent drunk.

Kevin Moore flew into a rage when they tried to put handcuffs on him as he lay in bed.

* Click here to watch the latest edition of our Leeds United preview programme The Boot Room.

He threw one officer, PC Mel Chapman, onto the bedroom floor before throwing a bedside lamp at her, hitting her on the head.

* Click here to visit the Leeds United webchat page.

Leeds Crown Court heard how powerfully-built Moore, 22, then leaned over the officer and began punching her in the face as PC Victoria Kear grabbed him from behind in a bid to restrain him.

Moore then flipped PC Kear over his shoulder and pinned her to the bed by her throat before repeatedly punching her in the face. PC Chapman then used CS spray to subdue Chapman, who initially lay prone on the bed.

As PC Chapman went to apply the handcuffs for a second time, Moore jumped up and pushed her backwards before kicking her in the stomach.

Philip Adams, prosecuting, said: "There was a second burst of CS gas discharged. The defendant then pushed past PC Kear, out of the bedroom, breaking free of her grip and running downstairs outside."

Moore was eventually arrested outside the property on Scott Hall Road when other officers arrived at the scene.

The court heard the officers had been called to the address by Moore's partner around 6am on August 25.

At the time he was wanted in connection with a violent incident outside the Birdcage nightclub in the early hours of July 2.

The court was shown CCTV footage of the fracas in which Moore and his friend Michael Pollard, 24, are seen aiming kicks and punches at people.

Moore, of Lombard Street, Halton Moor, pleaded guilty to affray, two offences of assault with intent to resist arrest and failing to attend court. He was jailed for two years and two months.

Pollard, of Stainmore Close, Seacroft, pleaded guilty to affray and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. He was jailed for 18 months.

Tahir Khan, for Moore, said: "He accepts fully the disgraceful behaviour towards the police officers."

The clear waters of Cyprus

Summer Time All the Time hosted by The Overseas Property Show is coming to Birmingham!