New CCTV footage has been released of a man wanted over the rape and attempted murder of a woman in Leeds – after it emerged he has been stalking other potential victims.
The clip – the clearest uncovered by detectives so far – shows him walking down Burley Road in Burley little more than an hour before the horrific attack in Beeston.
His victim, an 18-year-old woman, was set upon as she waited at a bus stop in Beeston Road, near to the junction with Tempest Road, at about 10.50pm on Friday, March 6.
She was dragged from the bus stop into a nearby garden and struck over the head numerous times with a rock before being raped in an ordeal that left her with serious head injuries and a fractured hip.
The new CCTV images show the suspect walking past the Tesco Express store in Burley Road at the junction of Westfield Terrace at about 9.45pm the same night.
Police said the footage was discovered after two women came forward separately to report being followed by the man.
Det Supt Nick Wallen, of West Yorkshire Police’s homicide and major enquiry team, said: “These are the most detailed images yet of the man involved in this terrible crime and they paint a very clear picture of him. We are urgently appealing for anyone who thinks they know who he is to contact us immediately.
“I cannot stress enough how important it is that we trace and arrest this man at the very earliest opportunity.”
Police have also released an image of the rock used to attack the woman in Beeston.
Investigators are working with a geology expert in the search for other potential clues.
These are the most detailed images yet of the man involved in this terrible crime and they paint a very clear picture of himDetective Superintendant Nick Wallen
Det Supt Wallen said: “It was recovered from the scene and we believe the offender brought it with him to use as a weapon.
“It is quite distinctive as an object and we would ask people to let us know if they recognise it as something that has come from their garden or elsewhere, particularly if they live somewhere on his route towards the crime scene along Cemetery Road from the direction of Holbeck.
“The stone has been subject to extensive forensic examination and we are working with a specialist geologist to establish where it may have come from.”
The attacker is thought to be of Pakistani or Middle Eastern origin, aged in his early twenties and slim, with receding black hair.
Det Supt Wallen added: “We are continuing to receive an excellent response from the public following our previous appeals for information and we continue to urge anyone who has any information that could assist the investigation to get in touch immediately.
“Officers from the local neighbourhood policing are maintaining increased patrols in the area to provide visible reassurance to the community and are working closely with key contacts in the community to keep people informed as the investigation progresses.”
Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team on 01924 334710 or via 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.