Victim’s throat slashed by ex soldier in Leeds park

Jafar Ferydon.
Jafar Ferydon.
Have your say

A former Afghan soldier slit a rival’s throat after they exchanged insults over his military service during an argument in a Leeds park.

Jafar Ferydon pulled out a Stanley knife and used it to attack the victim during the incident in Banstead Park, Harehills.

He knows he is going to custody for a long time.

Leeds Crown Court heard the victim thought he was going to die as he bled heavily after suffering a 7cm gash to his throat.

A scan taken when he reached hospital showed the wound was as deep as the vertebrae in his neck and was millimetres from major blood vessels.

Ferydon, 27, was jailed for eight years after pleading guilty to wounding with intent.

After his arrest Ferydon told police he had attacked the man when he insulted him over his service in the Afghan forces.

Michael Collins, prosecuting, said the incident happened on October 2 last year after the victim had gone to the park with friends to play football.

Ferydon was known to the group. He went up to the victim and grabbed him by the collar.

They exchanged insults before Ferydon took the knife out of his trouser pocket and used it to slash the victim’s throat.

Mr Collins said: “It was at this time that the complainant believed he was going to die.”

His friends tried to stop the bleed as emergency services were called.

A witness used his mobile to take a photograph of Ferydon.

Ferydon then went over to the man and told him to delete the picture or he would also get slashed.

Ferydon ran away but handed himself in at a police station in Wales 12 days later after his name was circulated as being wanted.

The victim underwent surgery to the neck wound. The surgeon who treated him noted that it was a near-fatal injury.

Ferydon initially denied responsibility for the attack and claimed he had acted in self defence.

Matthew Harding, mitigating, said: “Whatever was behind the this incident, it seems that the defendant’s association with the armed forces in Afghanistan played some part.”

Mr Harding said the attack was out of character and he was sorry for what he had done.

The barrister added: “He knows he is going to custody for a long time.”

Jailing Ferydon, Recorder Gurdial Singh said: “It is a matter of luck, not judgement, that you are not facing a far more serious charge.”

Detective Inspector John Dexter, of Leeds District CID, said: “Ferydon’s actions could very easily have had fatal consequences for the victim. No matter what the perceived provocation was, there can be no valid excuse for serious violence such as this.

“Anyone who is prepared to carry and use a knife to attack someone in this way is clearly a dangerous individual and the significant sentence he has received reflects that.”