Two rescued from burning flat

l
l
0
Have your say

Two men in their 30s had a “lucky escape” after the couch they were sitting on caught fire.

The incident happened at about 2am today at a third-storey flat on Grange Avenue, Chapeltown.

Fire engines from Moortown and Gipton attended the incident.

A spokesman said: “The fire started after a heated set light to items behind a couch - this then spread to the couch and caused a lot of thick, heavy black smoke. The two male occupants of the flat were out when we arrived and did not need hospital treatment.”

He added several other residents in neighbouring flats had to be evacuated as a precaution.

15 December 2017......     Jo Cox's siter Kim Leadbeater, centre, with MPs Rachel Reeves and Seema Kennedy, launch the long-awaited final report of the Jo Cox Loneliness Commission at a special event in Batley. Picture Tony Johnson.

‘Let’s turn the words on ending loneliness into action’ says sister of murdered West Yorkshire MP Jo Cox