A peckish Leeds dad was left feeling down in the mouth on Halloween night – after his kids returned from trick-or-treating with a packet of biscuits 18 years out of date.
Adrian Johnson’s daughters, seven-year-old Poppy and five-year-old Eidy, were given the McVitie’s milk chocolate digestives while they were doing the rounds of their neighbours’ houses yesterday evening.
And after the children went to bed, Adrian decided to open the packet and sneakily try one of the biscuits – not realising they had a best before date of May 15, 1999.
The dad, who lives in north Leeds and runs city-based PR and social media agency Umpf, said today: “I can’t really describe the taste. Just an awful, gone-off, long-lingering bad taste.
“But my first mouthful, which I did swallow, I just thought, ‘bloody hell, that’s weird’.
“Second bite I knew there was definitely something wrong with them, so I sniffed them, looked at the biscuit side, which was quite white rather than the usual brown-ish colour, and then I checked the sell-by date.
“That second bit ended up in the sink and I had to rinse my mouth and brush my teeth.”
Adrian’s children were out trick-or-treating with their mum, Ruth, when they were given the biscuits by some elderly neighbours.
“It was late on when I realised what had happened so I didn’t go back to the couple but I might pop round tonight when I get back home – more for their sake, than to complain, as who knows what else they’re keeping in their cupboards,” said Adrian, who has reported no lasting ill-effects from his snack.
“The kids found it hilarious this morning when I told them the story as they were asleep when it all happened.
“They did point out that I shouldn’t have been pinching their Halloween treats in the first place.”