Teenager dead after taking drugs on Leeds city centre night out

A teenager has died after taking drugs during a night out in Leeds city centre.

Thursday, 28th July 2016, 8:17 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 8:57 pm
Pryzm nightclub in Leeds city centre.

Police suspect the teenager, who was from Leeds and who they have yet to name, took ecstasy before being taken ill in Pryzm nightclub on Woodhouse Lane in the early hours of Tuesday.

A friend helped her outside where door staff alerted the club’s medical staff and paramedics arrived to take the woman, who was in a critical condition, to St James’s Hospital.

Despite emergency treatment, she was pronounced dead later the same morning.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police said the initial findings of a post-mortem examination showed that the woman died as a result of

hyperthermia and complications due to MDMA toxicity – the drug known as ecstasy – and in a statement said that her family was “completely

devastated”.

Have you downloaded the free YEP app available on Android and iphone?

Police said a man, aged 19, was arrested, and later bailed, on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a Class A drug.

In a statement, Det Insp Phil Jackson, of Leeds District CID, urged people to be conscious of the risks posed by illegal drugs, and added: “This young woman’s family are completely devastated at her death in such sudden and tragic circumstances and we are doing everything we can to support them at this difficult time.

“From our enquiries so far it appears she has taken the Class A drug MDMA, also known as ecstasy, in powdered form and has been taken ill shortly afterwards in the nightclub. We are awaiting the outcome of further tests but at this stage it does appear she has died as a result of a reaction to the drug.”