Teen burglar targeted his own family

Have your say

A TEENAGER who burgled his great-grandmother’s house while on police bail for twice stealing from his grandmother’s home has been locked up for 12 months.

Magistrates at Wakefield heard the 17-year-old, who also stole from his mother and uncle, broke in to his great-grandmother’s property the day after a family day out with relatives who were trying to support him.

The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told police he had a £10 to £20 a day cannabis habit and owed his dealer £1,000.

He stole his grandmother’s purse containing £50 cash and a bank card from her home in Wakefield area on September 13.

He was arrested and charged with theft on September 14, before being released on police

Twelve days later, on September 25, the boy returned to his grandmother’s home and stole a Sky TV box and an opal ring, which belonged to his mother, and earrings which belonged to his grandmother.

His family confronted him and the youth said he had taken the ring to Cash Converters and sold it for £25.

He was arrested the day after, charged with burglary and again released on police bail.

On Monday this week, while still on police bail, the youth broke in to his great-grandmother’s home and stole a laptop computer which belonged to his uncle.

Prosecutor Diane Gomersall said the youth asked someone else to sell the laptop to the Cash Generators store in Castleford for £95. The youth was again arrested and remanded in custody.

Magistrates were told the boy has a string of previous convictions for burglary and theft dating back to April 2011.

All the offences were
committed against family members.

The court heard the boy was made the subject of an 18-month community order at Wakefield Magistrates’ Court in June.

He admitted breaching that order and pleaded guilty to burglary and theft. Martyn Lord, mitigating, said: “The offences of dishonesty are exclusively against his family, predominantly his grandmother.

“She regularly attends court to support him.”

Sentencing the youth to a 12-month detention and training order, bench chairman Malcom Clowson, told him: “These are diabolical offences.”

The boy’s mother and grandmother were in court to support him.

Group chief executive of Aviva, Mark Wilson  Photo:  John Stillwell/PA Wire

Investor pressure sees Aviva row back on share cancellation