Soldier bloodied female police officer’s nose during arrest in Leeds city centre

Leeds Magistrates' Court.
Leeds Magistrates' Court.

A serving army soldier struck a police officer in the face as she tried to arrest him in Leeds city centre.

Kristian Marshall, 25, had intervened in a dispute which began in a takeaway in Briggate but found himself accused of assault.

Leeds Magistrates’ Court heard that Marshall became angry when arrested and lashed out, leaving a female officer with a bloodied nose.

Rifleman Marshall, who is based at barracks in Edinburgh, was said to be “truly disgusted” at his actions.

On September 3 last year, Marshall had been out drinking in Leeds when he became involved in a dispute at a takeaway.

The court heard that someone was being racially abused and that Marshall intervened but was himself assaulted.

He had intended to report the assault against him to police, but when officers arrived he was arrested.

A duty solicitor, mitigating, said Marshall been trying to diffuse the situation in the takeaway and took issue with the allegation made against him.

“He tried to explain to the police that he was, in fact, the victim,” he said.

Marshall pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer.

The duty solicitor said that Marshall accepts that he had injured the officer but had not intended to do so.

“He is truly disgusted with his behaviour,” he added.

The court heard Marshall, of Ravenscliffe Avenue, Bradford, had served with the 3 Rifles regiment for six years.

An officer from the regiment told the court that the soldier returns home at weekends to care for his father.

He said: “He has an exemplary army discipline.

“He has never been in trouble and this is out of character as far as I’m concerned.”

The officer added that further disciplinary action would be taken against Marshall and that the incident was likely to affect his prospects of promotion.

District Judge Nick Hayles said that Marshall probably more than anyone else understood the seriousness of hitting an officer.

He said he accepted the assault on the officer was out of character and that there would be further consequences when he returns to barracks.

Marshall was ordered to pay £200 compensation, £100 in fines, £85 costs and a £30 victim surcharge.