Postal services have resumed on a west Leeds estate – just 24 hours after the Yorkshire Evening Post highlighted the plight of residents who had gone a month without mail being delivered to their homes.
Royal Mail yesterday reinstated deliveries to 162 addresses on the Greenthorpe estate that were put on hold after a postman was attacked by a dog.
The YEP told on Wednesday how residents were having to make regular treks of more than a mile to a depot in Bramley to collect their letters and parcels.
Royal Mail spokeswoman Felicity MacFarlane said the ban had been lifted after the owner of the dog which bit the postman promised that the animal would be kept under control in the future.
She told the YEP: “We apologise for the inconvenience caused to affected customers by the temporary disruption to their deliveries.
“Our first priority is the health and safety of our employees, who should be able to deliver the mail safely and without fear of attack
“We ask for the co-operation of our customers and encourage the public to take responsibility for keeping their dogs under control.”
Royal Mail’s decision was welcomed today by residents, who had accused the company of “using a sledgehammer to crack a nut” by suspending so many deliveries on account of a single dog attack.
Brian Smith, 74, of Greenthorpe Road, said: “Getting the post back is all we ever wanted to come out of this.
“No one wants to hear about a postman, or anybody else for that matter, being bitten by a dog but I’m glad to see that common sense has prevailed.”
Coun Ann Blackburn (Green, Farnley & Wortley) said: “I am really pleased, this is great news.
“It will be a relief for the residents – they have been inconvenienced, to put it mildly.”
The dog bite which prompted the controversial suspension of deliveries took place on October 4.
Homes on Greenthorpe Road, Greenthorpe Walk, Greenthorpe Mount and Greenthorpe Hill were all affected by the move.
Royal Mail says attacks by dogs are a “significant hazard” for its staff. Records show there have been more than 5,500 attacks on postmen and women nationwide since April 2011, with some leading to what are described as “permanent disabling injuries”.