Public meeting called as fight against east Leeds school plan continues

Fearnville fields. Picture: Google.
Fearnville fields. Picture: Google.

A public meeting has been organised as part of the continuing campaign against plans to build a new secondary school on protected green space in east Leeds.

As previously reported by the Yorkshire Evening Post, Leeds City Council has been considering proposals for the construction of the 1,200-place free school on a section of the King George V playing fields in Gipton.

The council’s executive board was last month expected to approve the plans for the site – known locally as Fearnville playing fields – but at the 11th hour opted to defer the decision.

And the Save Fearnville Fields group opposing the scheme has now announced details of a public meeting where residents can air their views on how to keep its campaign moving forward.

The meeting will take place at St Nicholas School on Oakwood Lane this Friday, starting at 6pm.

Save Fearnville Fields chairman Iain Dalton said: “Many local people are still unaware of the plans to build a free school on the Fearnville playing fields, so we are hosting a public meeting to allow them to have their say on the proposals and discuss how we continue to fight them.

“Whilst the council executive’s decision to defer deciding on this issue has given us a temporary reprieve, we intend to pursue this issue until the plans are dropped altogether.”

Speakers at Friday’s meeting are due to include Leeds East MP Richard Burgon and Killingbeck & Seacroft ward councillor Catherine Dobson.

A council spokesman yesterday confirmed that Fearnville fields remained a possible site for the new school.

The spokesman said a decision was expected in early spring on whether a consultation should begin on other potential locations.