He died of his wounds received while on operations in the Middle East and was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross in November 1943.
Ancestral home of a Leeds dynasty which has links to Kate Middleton and Sir Thomas Fairfax, who helped win English Civil War for Oliver Cromwell. Today the mansion is used as offices but it was once the family home of the Luptons.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
They once adorned part of the the former Crown and Fleece Inn in the cut-through between Kirkgate and the Corn Exchange.
They date back to the 1860s and the construction of the New Station as it was then called (now City Station). They extend to some 80,000sq ft and are made up of about 18m bricks.
Purchased by Leeds Corporation in 1926 from Sir Edwin Airey (18781955) for 23,000. Airey was an industrialist who helped pioneer the use of prefabricated houses made from concrete slabs during and after the Second World War.
It was in the woods surrounding this old hall that the notorious Farnley Wood Plot took place in 1663, when conspirators met in a bid to overthrow the recently enthroned Charles II but they were caught.
A Suffragette born in Leeds. She became a pupil teacher aged just 13 and was qualified by the age of 21. She became active in her trade union and a supporter of the Independent Labour Party, where she was proven to be a fluent speaker.
The name is attached to the row of cottages at 90, 92 and 94 Morris Lane, opposite Abbey Walk. Various myths abound over the origin of the name, including that it derived from a dog with a loud bark.
Formerly on Briggate, it closed in March 1961, after which it was demolished, bringing to an end its 80 year history. The last night was a rancourous affair, with many of its past guests booking in to experience its final night.
Lord of the Rings creator was taught at the English department at Leeds University. He came to live in the city with wife Edith. They lived briefly at Hollybank, just north of Shaw Lane, after which they moved to Woodhouse.
One of the oldest streets in Leeds. It has existed for well over a thousand years and was at the centre of the original settlement from which the city of Leeds later developed.
In 1921, Lt Col Kitson Clark had some harsh words for the Leeds Town Hall lions, describing them as extraordinarily poor, mawkish and miserable looking. The lions were carved by William Day Kayworth Jnr at a cost of 550.
The archetypal department store was founded in 1837 but opened in Leeds in 1870, closing in 1971.
Established in 1727 and is one of the oldest pubs in Leeds. It is reported that highwayman Dick Turpin called there during his trip to York.
Hidden away in the grounds of St Stephens Church in Kirkstall lies the grave of one of its most famous sons. Richard Oastler was most famous for his campaigning for civil rights.
Famous for more than just its bear. Following the repeal of the Corn Laws, Pudsey free traders created Pudsey Pudding, a monster-sized plum pudding which consisted of 20 stones of flour with fruit and suet added on top.
An old tram shed which stood on Swinegate. It opened on June 29, 1914. Enlarged in the late 1920s but after the last tram ran in Leeds in 1959, Swinegate Tram Depot ceased to be of use.
Opened in Leeds on Clarence Dock, now called New Dock, on Friday March 15, 1996. It was opened by the Queen herself.
The doomed transport solution to Leedss traffic woes. The plan was initially approved by the Government in March 2001 at a cost of 500m. However, the scheme was dropped in 2005, despite millions having already been spent.
Joshua Tetley bought William Sykess Hunslet brewery in Leeds for 400 in 1822. The only way to deliver the beer was by horse and cart. They kept up to 120 horses and these were still working right up to 2006.
Yes, Leeds has one and its still possible to walk around in it, albeit with special permission from Network Rail and possibly the management of the Queens Hotel.
She visited Leeds twice, the second time in September 1858, to mark the opening of Leeds Town Hall.
It dates back at least to medieval times, if not before, with some evidence indicating it may even have been a site for Iron Age settlements.
Bare with us. The keys to structural analysis were first cut by William Bragg (1862-1942), professor of physics at the University of Leeds, and his 23-year-old son Lawrence (1890-1971). Google the rest.
Leeds has many, not least those off Briggate and Kirkgate. A list from 1985 shows at least 50 off these two streets.
Opened in Burley on July 18, 1840. The gardens, which cost 6d to visit, sparked controversy because they opened on a Sunday. Traditionalists argued Sunday should be a day of rest and that the gardens should remain closed.