'I will happily go without eating for a month if my children get food'

A Leeds mum-of-two is concerned she may not be able to feed her young family after claiming  she and her partner received a reduced joint universal credit monthly payment of just £349.

Friday, 27th March 2020, 6:00 am

Ashleigh Haigh, 26, who has two girls aged four and seven, said she and partner John Hickey, 26, were receiving a joint universal credit monthly payment of £1,300 after he moved in to her rented Leeds City Council home in Bramley last September.

Miss Haigh said the couple split up in January and their joint claim ended.

She said they got back together earlier this month and submitted a fresh joint claim for universal credit.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ashleigh Haigh pictured with partner John Hickey

She said on Monday March 23 the couple received a payment of £349 for the next four weeks.

Miss Haigh said her two children have not been taken into account for the latest universal credit payment.

Miss Haigh said she has been left with just over £50 to last four weeks after paying her monthly bills.

Miss Haigh said she has worked in hospitality as a casual worker at four Leeds United home matches this year.

She said her partner is not currently earning as he is on a security training course.

Miss Haigh said she has applied to the Local Welfare Support Scheme for help and and is waiting to hear if she has been accepted.

She said: "After all the bills were paid it has basically left me with about £50 to try and get some shopping for the month.

"I suffer with health anxiety as well so I do worry that something is going to happen with having no money to feed my kids."

"I will happily go without eating for a month if it means my children are going to get food."

"I have been left with £50 for the month. It is going to be hard. I'm going to have to go to the food bank, but I don't even know if they are open.

"I just want other young families to be aware that this could happen to them."

The Department for Work and Pensions has been contacted for a comment.