A horrified dad-of-two from West Yorkshire has hit out after claiming he found a metal screw inside his supermarket pepperoni pizza.
Glen Roberts, 52, said he had a narrow escape after being "seconds away" from swallowing the foreign object which could have left him choking.
He decided to buy two pizzas for himself and his 15-year-old son Layton from a local Co-op store as part of a £5 deal last month.
The joiner was tucking into his third slice of pepperoni pizza when he claims to have crunched down on "something hard".
To his disbelief, Glen claims he pulled out the black metal screw which measured around half an inch.
Glen said: "I couldn't believe it. I cooked both pizzas in my oven and I was just on my second or third slice when I felt something in my mouth "I thought I had lost a tooth, but then pulled out a screw, which I can only presume must have come out of one of their ovens.
"I could have choked on it, it's not like a piece of rubber going down your throat it's a sharp screw.
"The amount of damage that could do to anybody really, especially a child, it's not even worth thinking about, I could have been hospitalised.
"It was well chewed so I was seconds away from swallowing it.
"It could have been my son swallowing it, it was a two pizza deal so it's lucky that I decided to have the pepperoni one. It's Russian roulette really."
A Co-Op spokesman said the supermarket chain took concerns raised seriously, that enquiries were being made and they had apologised to the customer.
Glen, from Huddersfield, has already refused £40 in compensation and isn't convinced the incident will be investigated properly.
He now plans to report the incident to Trading Standards after buying the pizzas from a Co-Op store in the Crosland Moor area of Huddersfield.
"My biggest gripe was the store's attitude though when I got in touch to complain," he added. "Yes, nobody was injured, but it could have been quite serious.
"I just get the impression that they are not taking it very seriously. This happened four weeks ago now and I've given them opportunity after opportunity to get in touch to follow it up.
"I just keep getting passed from department to another and then I was offered £40. It's not about compensation but I just take £40 as an insult for what could have happened.
"I've still got the packaging and the screw. It was only my last conversation with the Co-Op on Thursday this week that pushed me over the edge.
"I was more than willing to give them the screw back if I felt like it was going to be investigated properly and a higher level of compensation was offered.
"But as that hasn't happened I thought I wanted to take it further. It's not worth £40 sending the screw back and it all being swept under the carpet.
"They just seemed interested in getting hold of that screw, so they could cover their tracks and forget about it. It's not on.
"I would like a proper apology and the reassurance that there would be a full investigation as to where it had come from. There really could have been very serious consequences."
A Co-op spokesman said: "We work closely with our suppliers to ensure the highest quality of food with rigorous checks in place, including metal detectors, to protect food safety.
"We take any concerns raised very seriously, enquiries are being made and we've apologised to our customer."