Part of an historic home which was originally built for one of Leeds’ famous sons has been put up for sale.
Gledhow Manor, a Grade II-listed mansion nestling on the edge of Allerton Park was created for the businessman Major Bagnal, the proprietor of Kirkstall Forge, formerly a key site of industry.
When the home was constructed in 1903, Wakefield sculptor Barbara Hepworth was being born, Bradford City Football Club was playing its inaugural match and a radio broadcast between the UK and America was taking place for the first time.
Now a three-bedroom apartment in the ground floor West Wing of the mansion – formerly known as Red House because of the colour of its distinctive American slates – is on the market at £375,000.
Jeremy Bladon, valuations manager at the Roundhay and Chapel Allerton offices of Linley & Simpson, said: “The property is in the heart of the conservation area on Gledhow Lane.
“It is a home with a story to tell, and offers house-hunters a rare chance to live in a converted Neo-Georgian mansion steeped in Leeds history.
“The building has been superbly restored, retaining the grandeur of the original Queen Anne revival style villa, including a magnificent full height galleried entrance atrium.”
“Chapel Allerton has grown in popularity over recent years to become one of Leeds’ most sought-after places to live and work – and this period property combines history with the vibrancy that the village now enjoys.”
A communal entrance which leads to the apartment was originally designed to exhibit Major Bagnal’s art collection, and includes an open fire and grand staircase.