Nostalgia: The City's Jewish Tradition
There has always been a strong Jewish tradition in Leeds.
Many years ago new refugees were helped by the Leeds Jewish Strangers Home (1) and in 1906 the foundation stone was laid at the Beth Hamidrash Hagadol Synagogue in Lower Brunswick Street (3).
In 1974 Chief Rabbi Dr. Immanuel Jakobovits spoke at Leeds University (2).
One of his predecessors was Dr Solomon Brown who gave a blessing at this Chanukah party held by the British Legion in 1956 (5) and ten years later we caught up with Dr Brown and his wife tending to these hydrangeas in their Roundhay garden (4).