MP urging Thomas Cook to launch carbon monoxide safety campaign after deaths of Wakefield children

Christi and Bobby Shepherd
Christi and Bobby Shepherd
0
Have your say

WAKEFIELD MP Mary Creagh was today due to urge holiday company Thomas Cook to help lead a Europe-wide campaign for improved carbon monoxide safety in a bid to prevent further holiday tragedies following the deaths of two West Yorkshire children.

Bobby and Christi Shepherd, aged six and seven, from Horbury, Wakefield, died in 2006 at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel on Corfu when they were overcome by fumes from a faulty boiler.

Wakefield MP Mary Creagh

Wakefield MP Mary Creagh

An inquest in May ruled that the children had been unlawfully killed and concluded that travel firm Thomas Cook breached its duty of care to the family.

Ms Creagh was today due to meet Thomas Cook Chief Executive Peter Fankhauser to push for the company to lead a Europe-wide campaign for improved carbon monoxide safety and a requirement for all hotels to install carbon monoxide alarms.

Ms Creagh said: “Having worked with the family for the past five years, their dearest wish is that no other family suffers a similar tragedy.

“They want Thomas Cook and the UK government to lead a Europe-wide campaign for improved carbon monoxide safety. Following Thomas Cook’s commitment to give £1m to create a new initiative to promote carbon monoxide awareness my meeting with Mr Fankhauser will look at how we take this campaign forward.”

Collect of Daniel Long, 15, who commited suicide at his home in Leeds, South Yorkshire. See Ross Parry story RPYSTRESS; The heartbroken sister of a straight-A student who committed suicide due to exam stress has launched a national campaign to prevent it happening again. 'Brainy' Daniel Long, 15, hanged himself in February 2017 after he developed acute anxiety whilst revising for his GCSEs. He was discovered unresponsive by his heartbroken mum Emma Oliver, 43, who had rushed upstairs when she heard a loud bang coming from his bedroom. Emma desperately tried to save him with CPR while a neighbour called 999, but Daniel was rushed to hospital where he was put on life support.

MP backs bid to get a counsellor for every school