Manslaughter trial hears emergency call made by woman who died from head injuries

editorial image
Have your say

A jury heard a recording of 999 call for help a woman made after she was allegedly struck a fatal punch by her partner.

Tammy Dodgson died 16 days after the alleged attack by Leslie Watson at their home in east Leeds.

Watson, 48, is on trial at Leeds Crown Court where he denies manslaughter.

The prosecution claim Watson struck his partner of six years a single blow at their home on Ascot Terrace, East End Park.

Miss Dodgson, 34, dialled 999 and complained of severe head pains around an hour after police had been to their home to arrest Watson.

The jury heard a recording of the emergency call in which she said: “I have been assaulted by my partner. He has punched me in the head and I have got severe head pains.” She added: “He knocked me out. He’s been locked up now. He’s in the police station.”

Miss Dodgson was taken to Leeds General Infirmary where her condition worsened. She collapsed and never regained consciousness.

Prosecutor Simon Waley said Miss Dodgson suffered bleeding to the brain and died on September 27 last year.

Mr Waley said: “The prosecution case is that this injury which was caused was inflicted by one punch which the defendant delivered.”

He added: “Tammy Dodgson and this defendant had been partners for about six years by the time of these events. You will hear that they were both registered alcoholics and their relationship was frequently, it would seem, a turbulent one, particularly when they were in drink.

“You will hear that there had been previous occasions when one or the other had made calls to the police making allegations of violent behaviour by one or the other.

“On those occasions, allegations had never been persisted with.”

After being called to the property Miss Dodgson told police Watson had hit her for being ‘mouthy’.


Leeds, Sweet street, 28th March 1979'LIGHTING'Mr. Eddie Mullan, a lift engineer at the City of Leeds Public Works Department, Sweet Street, gives a last polish to one of the four old gas lamps that are to be sent to Germany.

Leeds nostalgia: Bits of old Leeds sent to Germany... in 1979