London death toll rises to seven

Armed police near the Shard this morning
Armed police near the Shard this morning
Have your say

The death toll in the London terror attacks has risen to seven, police have confirmed.

UPDATED AT 13.14am: Four police officers were among those injured in the incident. One was a British Transport Police officer who was stabbed in the face, and an off-duty Met officer also sustained serious injuries.

Confirmed to be among the injured are an Australian woman and a New Zealander man. Their injuries are believed to be serious but not life-threatening. French citizens are also thought to have been hurt.

Police have raided a suspect's property in Barking, east London.

UPDATED 10.52am: Prime minister Theresa Day has now delivered her official statement outside Downing Street.

"Last night, our country fell victim to a brutal terrorist attack once again.

As a result I have just chaired a meeting of the Government's emergency committee, and I want to update you with the latest information about the attack.

Shortly before 10 past 10 yesterday evening, the Metropolitan Police received reports that a white van had struck pedestrians on London Bridge.

It continued to drive from London Bridge to Borough Market, where three terrorists left the van and attacked innocent and unarmed civilians with blades and knives.

All three were wearing what appeared to be explosive vests, but the police have established that this clothing was fake and worn only to spread panic and fear.

As so often in such serious situations, the police responded with great courage and great speed. Armed offices from the Metropolitan Police and the City of London Police arrived at Borough Market within moments and shot and killed the three suspects.

The terrorists were confronted and shot by armed officers within eight minutes of the police receiving the first emergency call.

Seven people have died as a result of the attack, in addition to the three suspects shot dead by the police. Forty-eight people are being treated in several hospitals across London."

The head of Scotland Yard has revealed that seven civilians were killed in the atrocity, which involved a vehicle being driven at pedestrians before three men began attacking people with knives.

Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick condemned the atrocity as "appalling" and "ghastly".

She said police believe there were three attackers and that all had been "neutralised".

Attackers brought carnage to the streets of the capital, stabbing a police officer and revellers with 12-inch knives, reportedly shouting "this is for Allah".

The trio were pictured wearing what appeared to be explosive vests, with police later confirming they were hoaxes.

Police were called at around 10.08pm to reports of a vehicle striking pedestrians on London Bridge.

The white van then continued to drive to Borough Market.

Three men then left the vehicle and began to stab people, including a British Transport Police Officer;

The suspects were confronted and shot by police at Borough Market within eight minutes of the first call being made.

In addition to seven fatalities, 48 people are being treated in hospital after being injured in the attack.

It is the third terrorist atrocity in Britain in less than three months after the Westminster and Manchester attacks in March and May.

Addressing media outside Scotland Yard, Ms Dick said: "Last night we saw another appalling and tragic incident in London - something we hoped we would not see again."