Leeds woman's pub glass attack

A WOMAN who glassed a rival and scarred her for life after an argument in a pub has been spared jail.

Margaret Swain, 52, was handed a suspended sentence after a judge heard she was suffering from a debilitating medical condition.

She was instead ordered to pay 1,000 to victim Victoria Lethaby and issued with an order banning Swain from contacting her in the future.

Leeds Crown Court heard Swain was drunk when she attacked Ms Lethaby in the Princess, in Rawdon, Leeds, in January this year.

Kirsty Watson, prosecuting, said both women were regulars at the pub and were on friendly terms earlier in the evening.

Swain then became aggressive after challenging Ms Lethaby over an incident which occurred at a party held at her home.

People in the pub initially managed to calm her down but she became aggressive again and hit Ms Lethaby in the face with a glass.

She fell to the floor after being knocked unconscious and was bleeding heavily.

After the incident Swain's husband was heard saying to his wife: "Do you realise what you've done?"

Swain replied: "I don't care, she deserves all she gets."

Ms Lethaby had to undergo an operation for nerve damage. The court heart she still felt pain from the injury and had suffered a loss of confidence due to the scarring.

Swain, of Low Fold Farm, Rawdon, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding.

David Taylor, mitigating, said Swain had been a self-employed mortgage advisor and previously held a good position at a building society but could no longer work.

He said Swain felt remorse for what she did.

He said: "I'm afraid it is the old saying of if she could turn the clock back she would. She didn't want this to happen and she is genuinely sorry."

Judge Geoffrey Marson told Swain that in almost all cases where people deliberately inflict such serious injuries they can expect to go straight to prison.

But he described hers as "wholly exceptional" because of her illness.

He said: "I am prepared to take a merciful and perhaps lenient course."

Swain was jailed for 12 months, suspended for two years.

Tony Burdin, chief executive of Sheffield Mutual Friendly Society

Sheffield Mutual achieves solid results as investment ISA grows in popularity