Leeds woman, 20, died after taking ‘party drug’

Aimee Jade Costello.
Aimee Jade Costello.
Have your say

A YOUNG woman from Leeds collapsed and died after taking the so-called party drug MCat.

Aimee Jade Costello, 20, had a fit after taking the banned substance – officially called mephedrone, but also nicknamed meow meow.

She was rushed to St James’s Hospital but confirmed dead on the evening of April 4. Toxicology tests are being carried out to confirm whether drugs or alcohol contributed to her death.

Aimee, a former Temple Moor High School pupil, lived at Skelton Avenue in East End Park, Leeds.

An inquest into her death was opened at Wakefield Coroner’s Court on Friday, April 13.

The inquest heard Aimee, who was single and unemployed, lived at home with her parents.

She had previously suffered a fractured collar bone and a fractured ankle and had also battled depression.

At about 2.15am on April 4 she went to a friend’s house on Hollyshaw Lane in Whitkirk.

A statement read to the court said: “She produced a quantity of MCat wrapped in cellophane.

“Throughout the morning Miss Costello and her associates took the MCat. At around 6.45pm she started to fit.”

An ambulance was called and she was given emergency treatment before being taken to St James’s, but her death was confirmed at 8.40pm.

The inquest was adjourned pending further enquiries and the outcome of the toxicology tests.

Police were initially called to Hollyshaw Lane following the incident.

But a West Yorkshire Police spokesman told the YEP: “The death is not being treated as suspicious.”

In one comment left on Aimee’s Facebook page, a friend described her as “the life and soul of the party”.

In a notice in the Yorkshire Evening Post, she was described as being “a darling daughter” to her parents Phillip and Heather. She was also a much-loved sister, niece, aunt and cousin as well as a “fantastic friend to so many”.

Mephedrone, which is also known as ‘plant food’, is used as a replacement for ecstasy or cocaine and was legal until April 2010.

But it was banned after being linked to several deaths.

It is not known how many people have died directly as a result of taking the drug.

Side effects are said to include headaches, palpitations, nausea, high blood pressure, a burning throat, nose bleeds and purple joints, especially the knees and hands.

Aimee’s funeral is at St Wilfrid’s Church on Selby Road at 11am on Tuesday.

Mourners have been asked to wear colour and make donations, if they wish, to the Yorkshire Cancer Centre in memory of her grandfather Peter.

Story clarification: The above report refers to the so-called party drug M-Cat as a “former plant food”. This should have read “formerly sold advertised as a plant food”. We are happy to clear up any confusion. (Posted May 10, 2012)

Chief Secretary to the Treasury Liz Truss has told the Yorkshire Post that Tory MPs should be prepared to be more "out there" on social media.

EXCLUSIVE: Tory MPs told by Minister previously mocked online to be more "out there" on Twitter and Instagram to win the next election