Leeds mum’s safety plea after six-year-old daughter cheats death in holiday pool horror

Darcey Morgan with sister Inez on a previous holiday.
Darcey Morgan with sister Inez on a previous holiday.
Have your say

A Leeds mum today relived the nightmarish holiday accident that came close to claiming the life of her six-year-old child.

Alex Morgan’s daughter, Darcey, was trapped underwater for more than two minutes after her hair became caught in the filter of a swimming pool at the H10 Rubicon Palace hotel in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote.

Darcey Morgan in hospital.

Darcey Morgan in hospital.

Darcey was hauled unconscious from the water by two quick-thinking holidaymakers and given CPR at the poolside.

The youngster, who was treated overnight at a local hospital before flying back home to the UK with her family, has thankfully shown no signs of any lasting physical effects.

Now Alex, 32, from Tingley, is calling on tour operator First Choice to ensure urgent safety improvements are put in place at the hotel pool.

She said: “We think as many people as possible should hear about this – we don’t want anyone else to go through what we experienced.

Darcey Morgan with parents Alex and Gareth.

Darcey Morgan with parents Alex and Gareth.

“Some very brave people saved our daughter’s life. The only way they got her up and away from the filter was by pulling and pulling her hair until it ripped.

“It was the worst day of our lives. We just feel incredibly lucky to still have our beautiful little girl.”

Mum-of-three Alex was on holiday with husband Gareth and an extended family group in late April when the accident happened.

The couple were just yards away while Hill Top Primary Academy pupil Darcey – described as a confident swimmer – was in the pool with her six-year-old cousin Isobella.

The family say they decided to go public with their ordeal after being left unimpressed by the resort’s response to the scare.

First Choice yesterday said it carried out a “full and thorough investigation” and had taken action to resolve the issue.

A spokeswoman for the operator said: “We continue to ensure that the health and safety of all of our holidaymakers is our top priority.”