Leeds football fan 'killed by punch'

A man was killed after being struck by a single punch in a fight outside a Leeds pub following an England world cup match, a jury heard.

Robert Wilson, 44, died from head injuries a week after the incident outside the Skyrack pub in Headingley following the England v USA game on June 12.

* Click here to sign up to free news and sport email alerts from your YEP.

A court heard how Christopher Perry, 25, hit Mr Wilson in the face after the pair had earlier been involved in a "scuffle" in the pub beer garden.

* Click here to follow the YEP on Twitter.

Perry, of Shadwell Walk, Moortown, denies manslaughter.

Jonathan Sharp, prosecuting, told Leeds Crown Court Perry had earlier been with friends to watch the game at the Yorkshire cricket ground in Headingley, before they went to the Skyrack to continue drinking.

He said: "About 10.50pm in the evening the group left the pub. As they were leaving there was a short scuffle in the beer garden and one or two of the defendant's group got involved in that scuffle.

"It was a very short scuffle, it was quickly over and most of the people in the beer garden ignored it."

They then left to walk to their car parked nearby but Mr Wilson

followed and began shouting at Perry.

Mr Sharp said witnesses said Mr Wilson, of West Park, appeared angry and was saying "let's finish it" and "bring it on".

Mr Sharp added: "From what you hear about his behaviour (Mr Wilson's),

you may come to the conclusion that he had a fair bit to drink and may have used other drugs. He was no doubt annoying and he was no doubt aggravating.

"Other people in the beer garden were telling him to calm down and leave it alone."

Perry had almost reached the car with his friends when he turned back and crossed the road to confront Mr Wilson. The pair squared up to each other before Perry struck Mr Wilson once in the face.

Mr Wilson then struck his head on the floor, fracturing his skull.

Perry then walked away and drove off with his friends as witnesses tried to get the car to stop.

Mr Wilson was taken to hospital where he lost consciousness. Surgery was unsuccessful and he died on June 23.

Perry was arrested a fortnight later and told officers he had acted in self defence.

Mr Sharp told the jury: "If Mr Perry felt threatened by Mr Wilson, all he had to do was get in the car and drive off.

"There was no need for him to return to Mr Wilson, nor was there any need to hit him so hard that Mr Wilson was knocked to the ground and as a result fractured his skull.

"If there was any need to attack as he did, then that went far beyond what was reasonable.

"This was not self defence. This was a straight forward unlawful attack. It was that unlawful act which caused Mr Wilson's death."


Leeds, Sweet street, 28th March 1979'LIGHTING'Mr. Eddie Mullan, a lift engineer at the City of Leeds Public Works Department, Sweet Street, gives a last polish to one of the four old gas lamps that are to be sent to Germany.

Leeds nostalgia: Bits of old Leeds sent to Germany... in 1979