Leeds dad died after sports car flipped and rolled in 20mph zone crash, inquest told

Wakefield Coroner's Court
Wakefield Coroner's Court

A FATHER-of-three died after he was ejected from a sports car which crashed at speed in a 20mph zone in Leeds  before rolling over a number of times, an inquest heard.

Dale Abbott, 27, suffered a fatal head injury after the 2004 Mazda RX8 flipped over on Lingwell Road in Middleton, Wakefied Coroner's Court was told.

The inquest heard the car had struck a kerb and a metal bollard just after 8.30pm on November 29 2016.

Mr Abbott, who ended up in the garden of a house on Lingwell Road, was pronounced dead at the scene after attempts to revive him failed.

Toxicology tests showed Mr Abbott, of Sissons Street, Middleton, had used cannabis and cocaine.

The inquest heard Mark Peat told police that he was the front seat passenger in the Mazda and that Mr Abbott had been driving when the crash happened. Mr Peat told police that neither man had been wearing a seatbelt.

Sgt Ann Drury of West Yorkshire Police told the inquest: "Mark said Dale was driving at approximately 50mph."

Sgt Drury told the inquest that evidence led police to believe Mr Abbott was the driver at the time of the crash.

Area Coroner Jonathan Leach asked Sgt Drury: "As a result of the enquries made by your colleagues, was it possible to say who was the driver? Is it possible to say with 100 degree certainty who was the driver and who was the passenger?"

Sgt Drury replied: "No."

West Yorkshire Police accident investigator James Viney said he concluded that the driver of the Mazda had failed to negotiate a chicane on the road and hit the kerb.

Mr Viney said: "At some point during the roll over one of the occupants has been ejected from the vehicle."

Mr Viney said damage to the car was consistent with a high speed impact.

Reading a witness statement from Mr Abbott's mother Clare Kilburn, Coroner Mr Leach said she heard about the accident and went to the scene, adding: "A woman I knew grabbed me and said 'don't go near, it's not nice' however I did go and saw he was gone."

Mrs Kilburn said her son had three children and had passed motorbike test, but had not passed his car driving test.

The inquest heard witness Baiba Ventniece was stood at a bus shelter on Lingwell Road when she saw the crash after spotting the car being driven " really fast."

Reading her witness statement, Mr Leach said she saw the car in the air before coming down with a loud bang, adding: "The car was going back over front, back over front three or four times, still coming towards me."

Baiba Ventniece added in the statement: "I was in shock. I could not believe what had just happened. This only happens in films."

Mark Peat was due to give evidence to the inquest via video link from HMP Leeds, but technical problems meant it was not possible.

Coroner Mr Leach adjourned the inquest until August 29 when Mr Peat's evidence is due to be heard.