THIEVES caused a gas leak when they stole the supply pipe to a house in Leeds.
The leak was reported at Montague Avenue in Oakwood today. (Thursday)
Engineers from Northern Gas Networks were called out.
Northern Gas Networks’ Gwen Allen said: “We attended a gas escape outside a property on Montague Avenue in Oakwood.
“Our expert engineer immediately capped off the gas supply to make the area safe and advised the customer to contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to get pipes replaced and the gas back on.
“We believe the escape was caused when the property’s external copper gas pipe was stolen.
“This act was not only foolish but potentially extremely dangerous. Tampering with gas pipes and equipment poses a real danger and the sad thing is the small amount of copper they removed won’t be worth much at all.
“It is quite rare that this happens as most people know just how dangerous it is to wilfully damage a gas pipe.
“Fortunately this time it ended without incident as our engineers were able to deal with it promptly.
“Northern Gas Networks operates the gas emergency service across the north of England and urges anyone who smells gas to call 0800 111 999 free of charge. Calls will be answered 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.”