Leeds boy sufferers injury horror in hotel glass '˜explosion'
A six-year-old boy from Leeds has been scarred for life after an accident following an explosion of glass at a hotel in Cyprus.
Korbyn Ferguson, from Middleton, who was five at the time, has been left with six inch scars on both sides of his leg and 22 stitches after a glass patio door leading to a hotel balcony shattered when he fell through the glass door to the balcony.
He had been enjoying a family holiday and had just arrived at the Princessa Vera Aparthotel in Paphos, Cyprus, on August 16 last year with his mum Sharon and his dad Andrew.
It was shortly after they had finished unpacking that the incident occurred.
Resident claims Leeds pub music is 'like a bad night in Benidorm’ amid plans to extend opening hours
17 pictures you'll only understand if you're from Leeds
Leeds Olympian Nicola Adams and girlfriend Ella Baig reveal baby boy's name as they talk about parenthood
Bus services refuse to go through parts of east Leeds due to ‘antisocial behaviour and vandalism’
Leeds heatwave: City braced as Met Office issues yellow thunderstorm warning
Sharon said: “Unbeknown to us, Korbyn had tried to go back on to the balcony and the glass in the door had literally ‘exploded’ as his knee had come into contact.
“There was blood everywhere because as his knee had gone through the glass, he had tried to remove it and thereby sliced the other side of his leg as well.”
She added: “I had to take my coat off and wrap it around his leg as the bleeding was like a fountain - it looked like somebody had been murdered.
“Korbyn was rushed to the hospital where he spent three days, and had to return every two days to check the wound.
The family are now taking legal action through law firm Leigh Day who claim that tour operator Jet2.com should have ensured the room was safe.
Sharon described the glass door that Korbyn fell through as “paper thin” and said that the incident had left Korbyn terrified of going to the doctor.
She said: “It has made him terrified of everything including noises and when you mention going to the doctors for anything else he goes absolutely berserk.
“The scarring is absolutely horrific.
“When your five-year-old is asking you if he is going to die, you can imagine what mental torture that was.
“Now whenever somebody drops something in the house, I jump.”
Representing the family, Clare Campbell, a specialist in travel law at Leigh Day, said: “We believe that the tour operator has failed to comply with reasonable safety standards.
“There were no warning stickers about the presence of glass and the doors were not fitted with safety glass.
“When parents take their children on holiday they should be going safe in the knowledge that the tour operator has taken care to ensure the accommodation is of a suitable standard.
“We do not believe this was the case here, resulting in Korbyn’s injuries.”
A spokesperson for Jet2.com said: “The health and safety of our customers is extremely important to us and we are exploring the claim regarding Master Korbyn Ferguson.
“As this is still an ongoing claim, we are unable to comment any further at this time.”