The valuable work of organisations which support people with learning disabilities has been recognised at the Leeds Learning Disability Awards.
Around 325 people attended the biannual event, which was organised by learning disability forum Tenfold, to pay tribute and celebrate city workers and volunteers with awards including team of the year, Tenfold member of the year and going the extra mile.
Stars of TV’s Emmerdale, Olympic hopeful Tom Bosworth, city councillors, Leeds Central MP Hilary Benn and West Yorkshire Police and Crime Commissioner Mark Burns-Williamson were among the guests at the Queens Hotel, in Leeds, on Friday.
Among the winners were organisations such as People Matters and Luv 2 Meet U, while staff and volunteers from the likes of Pyramid of Arts, the Off by Heart Choir and SLATE were recognised with individual gongs.
Kath Lindley, manager at Tenfold, said: “It is a chance to recognise some of the unsung heroes and heroines working across the city to support some of the most vulnerable people in society.”
The event marked the start of Leeds Learning Disability Week, which runs until Saturday. Events still to take place this week include a learning disability speed dating night at Tiger Tiger organised by Leep the Bridge tonight from 7pm.
The city’s biggest picnic, the Picnic in the Park, will take place at Temple Newsam tomorrow from 11am to 2pm, and the Leeds Mencap Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge will see supporters tackle the Pen-y-ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough on Saturday.
Visit www.tenfold.org.uk or www.through-the-maze.org.uk for more on Learning Disability Week events.
Leeds Learning Disability Award winners:
- Tenfold Member of the Year - People Matters
- Making a Difference - Luv 2 Meet U sponsored by Morrisons
- Volunteer of the Year - winner: Paul Hutchinson, Pyramid of Arts, highly commended: Ben Whitehouse, Foodworks
- Going The Extra Mile - Mavis West, Off by Heart Choir sponsored by Yorkshire Housing
- Employee of the Year - Carol Ann Reed, The Bridge, Health for All sponsored by Morrish Solicitors
- Team of the Year - The Get Me Better Champions, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust sponsored by White Rose Shopping Centre and Trinity Leeds
- Lasting Legacy - Julia Piggott, Pyramid of Arts
- Lifetime Achievement - Frances Jones, SLATE
- Outstanding Contribution - John Burley & Easy on the I, Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust