`

Here's why a police cordon is still in place at the scene of homeless man's death in Leeds

editorial image
0
Have your say

Police remain at the scene of a homeless man's death under the Dark Arches - despite the circumstances not being suspicious.

The cordon will remain in place near Neville Street while a post-mortem investigation is completed today.

His identity has been confirmed as that of Jason Wager, 52 - a long-term rough sleeper who had been living in a tent under the railway arches. His body was found on Tuesday morning.

Man found dead under Dark Arches named
His twin sister said Jason had lived on the streets for around 30 years, and called them 'home'.

Rough sleeper found dead near Dark Arches was fifth to die on city's streets since October
He was popular among the homeless community and was known for his generosity.

The Homeless Leeds Support Group helped Jason to find permanent accommodation after a hospital stay last year and bought him a TV and kitchen utensils, but said they did not realise he had returned to the streets.

Four other rough sleepers have been found dead in Leeds since October 2017.