Wife’s concerns over husband’s Leeds hopsital death

editorial image
Have your say

A WIDOW has told of her devastation at her husband’s death days after undergoing a biopsy at a Leeds hospital.

An inquest at Wakefield Coroner’s Court heard father-of-two Peter Eustace, 57, was recovering well after undergoing a lung biopsy at St James’ University Hospital last October.

The court heard the Pontefract man died as a result of bleeding into his lung three days later, just hours after doctors had removed a drain from his chest.

Recording a narrative verdict, assistant deputy coroner Mary Burke said the post mortem was carried out by Dr Andrew Boon, adding: “He indicated when Peter suffered the acute haemorrhage it was likely the site of this haemorrhage was intercostal vessels and bleeding was likely to have been caused by the removal of the drain on October 24.

“But he indicated that the level and extent of his underlying condition as having a role to play. Peter was unable to cope with the development of the haemorrhage when his lungs were already compromised.”

Mr Eustace’s widow Alyson said later: “Our family has been devastated by Peter’s sudden death. As far as we were aware he had been making a good recovery, so his death came as a terrible shock to us. We remain concerned over the level of care he received at the hospital.”

Her family’s solicitors, Irwin Mitchell, want NHS chiefs to review diagnostic procedures in emergencies – after it emerged doctors adopted a “wait and see” approach to Mr Eustace’s condition. A Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust spokesman said: “The trust expresses sincere condolences to Mr Eustace’s family and would like to offer a meeting to discuss any remaining concerns they may have.

“The treating clinicians were saddened by Mr Eustace’s death but believe all necessary and appropriate measures were taken to treat his deterioration in the time that was available before his final collapse.

“This was the evidence given and accepted at the inquest.”


Leeds stroke team smash time record for giving lifesaving treatment