Wife in search for colleagues of West Yorks asbestos victim

Robert Gay
Robert Gay
0
Have your say

an appeal has gone out to former colleagues of a man who died from an asbestos-related cancer.

Robert Gay, known as Bob, died last December aged 78 after a three-month battle with mesothelioma, which is caused by exposure to asbestos fibres.

Now Mr Gay’s wife Hazel, from Drighlington, near Leeds, is looking for his workmates after instructing law firm Irwin Mitchell to see whether more could have been done to protect him from the illness.

The 75-year-old said: “It was difficult to watch Bob battle the disease and for his health to decline as it did. All he did was go to work and do his job and it’s hard to come to terms with the fact this ultimately cost him his life.

“His health deteriorated very rapidly in his last few months, as he struggled with breathlessness, lost a lot of weight and became tired very easily. He also had to give up his beloved hobby of attending dog shows with our two Lhasa Apso dogs.

“I would urge anyone who knew or worked with Bob to come forward with any information so we can move his case forward and secure justice for him.”

After leaving school, Mr Gay worked as an apprentice joiner at Matthews and Sons in Wetherby between 1950 and 1953 and was responsible for general building work in residential and commercial buildings.

He also worked for the Leeds and West Riding Fire Service as a firefighter from 1960 until 1970.

It is believed he may come into contact with asbestos through both or either of these roles.

Anyone with information about working conditions at either organisation should contact Ian Toft at Irwin Mitchell on 0113 218 6453 or email ian.toft@irwinmitchell.com.

Collect of Daniel Long, 15, who commited suicide at his home in Leeds, South Yorkshire. See Ross Parry story RPYSTRESS; The heartbroken sister of a straight-A student who committed suicide due to exam stress has launched a national campaign to prevent it happening again. 'Brainy' Daniel Long, 15, hanged himself in February 2017 after he developed acute anxiety whilst revising for his GCSEs. He was discovered unresponsive by his heartbroken mum Emma Oliver, 43, who had rushed upstairs when she heard a loud bang coming from his bedroom. Emma desperately tried to save him with CPR while a neighbour called 999, but Daniel was rushed to hospital where he was put on life support.

MP backs bid to get a counsellor for every school