A mum who was mistakenly given the MMR jab at a Leeds GP practice when she was 30 weeks pregnant has been given a £3,000 payout.
Emma Cave, from Pudsey, said she suffered months of worry following the blunder, which happened when she was supposed to have the whooping cough vaccination.
Doctors couldn’t guarantee there was no risk to her unborn baby and her son Harrison was six-weeks-old before they could say for certain he had not been harmed.
She said: “It is hard to take what has happened and remove it from your mind. I still can’t understand how they made such as mistake.”
The 25-year-old went to a Leeds GP surgery last year for the whooping cough vaccine, which is routinely given during pregnancy. The next day she was contacted and told of the mistake.
“I felt sick to the stomach when they told me what had happened. It was all a complete shock as you expect nurses and doctors to know what they are doing, and not make such silly, potentially serious mistakes.
“It wouldn’t have been so bad had they been able to fully assure me there and then that there was no danger of harm to my baby, but they couldn’t.”
Miss Cave was sent to hospital, where she and partner Luke Egan were told the effect on their son would only become clear after their baby was born.
“From that point on I was constantly worrying.
“I was in and out of hospital for checks because I couldn’t feel the baby moving on many occasions, although perhaps the anxiety and stress of all I had gone through made me panicky,” she said.
Miss Cave took legal action through Neil Hudgell Solicitors and the GP surgery admitted the mistake and apologised.
Senior solicitor Kay Barnes said: “It was a mother’s nightmare, an unfortunate incident involving negligent treatment which could have been completely avoided had proper care been taken.”