Kettle explodes boiling water all over Leeds woman’s stomach

Carol Clark, 44, who scalded her abdomen after her kettle exploded. Picture by James Hardisty.
Carol Clark, 44, who scalded her abdomen after her kettle exploded. Picture by James Hardisty.
Have your say

A WOMAN claims she was badly scalded when her new kettle exploded as she made a cuppa.

Carol Clark, 44, of Highfield Court, Wortley, was making coffee for herself, her dad and her partner on Saturday when the Wilko Water Kettle cracked and boiling water went everywhere.

Carol said: “I heard the kettle click off and went to make the drinks, As I lifted the kettle to pour, it literally exploded in my hand, cracking the kettle and boiling water went all over me, scalding my abdomen.”

She was treated in Accident and Emergency at Leeds General Infirmary for burns and has been back to her doctor for further treatment.

Today Wilko says it has withdrawn is “urgently investigating” her complaint and are hoping to examine and test the product to find out what happened.

Ms Clark, who bought the £25 kettle from the Armley Wilko store eight weeks ago, said; “It was really frightening, I didn’t know what was happening. I was in shock. I contacted the store and spoke to someone who said they would refund the item. It could have been much worse.”

She is now left with large, red painful burn marks across her abdomen, which are blistering.

Wilko confirms it is urgently investigating a complaint received from a customer from its Armley branch following an accident with a kettle purchased around two months ago.

A spokesman said: “We are very concerned to learn of this incident. Customer safety is our number one priority and we are carrying out an urgent investigation as well as withdrawing this product from sale as a precautionary measure. “We have requested the return of the product for examination and testing and we hope to get more direct information from the customer to help with our investigation.”

NHS logo.

NHS Trust facing backlash over staff transfers