Hospital strike for tomorrow is called off after talks

Junior doctors protest in Victoria Gardens, Leeds.
Junior doctors protest in Victoria Gardens, Leeds.
0
Have your say

STRIKE ACTION by thousands of junior doctors has been suspended so talks can continue, the Government and the British Medical Association (BMA) have announced.

All three strikes planned by the BMA - including a walkout today - have been suspended in order to return negotiations.

The Leeds junior doctor protest in Victoria Gardens, Leeds, last week.

The Leeds junior doctor protest in Victoria Gardens, Leeds, last week.

In return, the Government has agreed to suspend its threat to impose a new contract on doctors. If the fresh round of talks break down, the BMA still has the right to hold its strikes before a deadline of January 13.

A spokesman for the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas), which has been hosting the talks, said: “Following five days of productive talks under the auspices of Acas, the BMA, NHS Employers and the Department of Health have reached an agreement.

“Acas is pleased that the talks have been held in a constructive manner and cooperative spirit between the parties, that will allow an improvement in industrial relations.”

Four days of talks between the BMA, Government officials and NHS Employers - hosted by Acas - have resulted in the new tentative settlement.

A statement from all parties, released through Acas, said: “We intend to reach a collaborative agreement, working in partnership to produce a new contract for junior doctors, recognising their central role in patient care and the future of the NHS.

“All parties are committed to reaching an agreement that improves safety for patients and doctors and therefore NHS Employers have agreed to extend the time frame for the BMA to commence any industrial action by four weeks to January 13, 2016 at 1700, to allow negotiations to progress.

“Within that timetable, the BMA agrees to temporarily suspend its proposed strike action and the Department of Health agrees similarly to temporarily suspend implementation of a contract without agreement.

“All parties acknowledge that they share responsibility for the safety of patients and junior doctors, which must be paramount.”

In a memorandum of understanding, the groups agreed there was a need to “improve access to seven day services” in the NHS.

“The parties recognise that junior doctors currently make a significant contribution across seven days, that urgent and emergency care is the priority for such services and that any new contract would support these aims,” it said.

Earlier, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt told MPs in the Commons that the Government would still move to impose the contract on doctors if negotiations did not prove fruitful.

Doctors were poised to take action on three days, providing emergency care only for 24 hours from 8am on Tuesday followed by full walkouts from 8am to 5pm on December 8 and 16.

The action would cause mass disruption to the NHS, with hospitals forced to cancel outpatient clinics and non-urgent operations.

NHS England estimates suggest that over 4,000 operations and procedures have already been scrapped for Tuesday.

In preparation for the expected industrial action, Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said it has “tried and tested plans” to deal with the disruption.

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust said it was working to “limit the disruption”, while Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust said it is looking to “ensure services run as near to normal as possible”.

Switch up your workouts in the New Year with some weights.

Try a new January workout: give powerlifting a go