Girl hurt in Leeds school firework explosion

l
l
0
Have your say

Police have launched an investigation after a girl was badly burned when a firework exploded in the canteen at her Leeds school.

The 15-year-old was left needing treatment at the specialist burns unit in Wakefield after the rocket was thrown in the hall at Bruntcliffe School in Morley.

The Yorkshire Evening Post understands the explosive set fire to her clothes after landing nearby as she sat eating lunch with friends.

She suffered burns to her stomach, arms and legs and was taken to Pinderfields Hospital after being treated by paramedics on site.

Two other girls suffered less serious burns.

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested.

In a letter to parents following the incident, head teacher Heather Scott said: “It was a very traumatic incident for all concerned.

“While clearly I can’t comment on what has happened to the individuals who set off the firework as this is now being investigated by the West Yorkshire Police, I can assure you that the school has dealt with the issue immediately and severely.”

Mrs Scott told the YEP: “The health and safety of our students is of paramount importance to us.”

The incident happened at about 1.30pm on Tuesday.

Christine Robinson-Perkins, whose son Cameron is a year 10 pupil at the school, said he was outside when the incident happened.

“The hall was packed. All of a sudden all the kids came running out,” she said. “He thought there was a fight going on, but then they found out a firework had been thrown in the hall.

“It’s very worrying.”

The school has offered counselling to the students involved.

Mrs Scott said no-one could have predicted the incident and added it would be “extremely difficult” to check the bags of the school’s 1,250 pupils.

“We do not condone fireworks being brought into school, but I’m sure no school would ever predict this could happen,” she said.

West Yorkshire Police confirmed a 15-year-old boy had been arrested on suspicion of assault. He has been given bail pending further enquiries.

Ian Bitcon, fire safety area manager for West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said throwing a firework in a public place was a criminal offence.

He added: “This is obviously an extremely reckless thing to do, which can result in very serious injuries.”