Gang jailed for 27 years over vicious Leeds street attack

editorial image
Have your say

Three men have been locked up for a total of 27 years after CCTV cameras captured shocking footage of an early morning street fight outside a city centre nightclub.

During the large scale disturbance, three men were stabbed and one had a bag containing £1,500 ripped from him as he was being attacked.

Two men from Leeds and one from Huddersfield were sent to young offender institutions for their part in the violence which broke out near to Club C in Sackville Street back in May.

Jozeffi Jeffers, 18, of Roman Place, Roundhay, Leeds, received the longest sentence of 13 years after he stabbed one of the victims Rorrie Campbell four times.

Jeffers admittted offences of violent disorder, wounding, possessing a bladed article and robbery and Judge David Hatton QC the attack on Mr Campbell as “sickening”.

“You stabbed him with a knife in the chest and the abdomen,” said the judge.

“You continued thereafter to assault him as he lay helpless by jumping on him and kicking him and causing him two further stab wounds.

“You continued to punch at him as people sought to rescue him and take home away from the scene.”

Judge Hatton said Jeffers had also robbed Adam Hussain of his bag containing the cash as that victim was being “savaged” by a number of other people.

Jahbari Blair, also 18, of Rookwood Vale, Osmondthorpe, Leeds, was sentenced to a total of 12 years and four months in a young offender institution after he admitted violent disorder, wounding Zeeshan Hussain and Rian Anwar, and possessing a bladed article.

Bradford Crown Court heard how he had stabbed Mr Hussain in the back before using the knife, which he had taken off Jeffers, to stab Mr Anwar as he was being beaten up by others.

A third defendant, 20-year-old Marcus Kaye, of North Carr, Dalton, Huddersfield, was sentenced to 20 months after he admitted violent disorder and causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Hussain.

Judge Hatton said Kaye had been kicking and stamping on him during a joint attack.

A number of other defendants will be sentenced for their part in the violence at a later date.

But yesterday, Judge Hatton said it was remarkable, and purely fortuitous, that no-one had been killed during the uncontrolled and mindless aggression.

“I don’t know who each of you think you are or what you think you were about that morning,” the judge told the trio.

“Each of you was fuelled with alcohol and quite probably more. What I know is that the ordinary, decent and responsible people of this city do not want or need people like you on their streets.”