Fire that killed disabled Leeds man still a mystery

editorial image
Have your say

Police and fire officers were still investigating the source of a fatal house fire, an inquest heard.

Five weeks after the fire inquiries have failed to pinpoint the source of the blaze which killed disabled Alexander Forrest, 24, in his home in Elmtree Lane, Hunslet, Leeds.

In the fire on February 19 the unemployed man suffered 50 per cent burns. His condition was stabilised at Leeds Infirmary and he was moved to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester for specialist care, said coroner’s officer Richard Musgrove. Despite intensive treatment, he died on February 24.

A post-mortem examinationshowed cause of death was multiple organ failure due to smoke inhalation and extensive burns.

Leeds Coroner David Hinchliff has given permission for a second post-mortem at the request of detectives.

Mr Musgrove said Alexander was a single man who lived independently in the housing association property. He had never worked and suffered from cerebral palsy and related conditions.

Mr Forrest was identified by his mother Joan who lived nearby.

Mr Hinchliff adjourned the inquiry to await a report from detectives.

The Grand Theatre, Leeds. Picture by Simon Hulme.

£12m Leeds Grand Theatre regeneration plan includes a little extra help from the taxpayer