Fine for Leeds takeaway with grease dripping down its walls

A Leeds takeaway found to have grease dripping down its walls has been fined for a string of food safety breaches.

By The Newsroom
Friday, 25th March 2016, 10:16 am
Updated Friday, 25th March 2016, 6:56 pm

Asim Hussain, who operates Shaan Pizza on Harehills Road, appeared before magistrates earlier this week.

Having pleaded guilty to three separate offences under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013, Hussain was fined £1,500 and ordered to pay £1,118 in costs and a £120 victim surcharge.

A routine inspection by environmental health officers in June 2015 found numerous issues with cleanliness and general conditions in all areas of the takeaway.

Sign up to our daily newsletter


Officers discovered kebab meat stored on newspapers in a freezer and a dirty mop and broom stored directly next to a dough mixer, risking contamination.

Hand contact points such as light switches, handles and controls were so filthy they also risked contamination. Floors and shelves throughout the premises were dirty.

Officers noted grease had accumulated on the ventilation system and that grease was dripping down the walls in the kitchen.

Containers and utensils used to store and prepare food were dirty with one chopping knife handle held together with parcel tape and shelves in the fridge were rusty.


Officers noted that Hussain had failed to implement any kind of food safety management system.

Following the inspection, Hussain explained to magistrates that steps had been taken to clean the premises.

Councillor Mark Dobson, executive member for environmental protection and community safety, said:

“Reviews of restaurants or takeaways might give you an idea about the quality of food and service but they that can never be taken as an indication of cleanliness.

“It’s not until our environmental health officers get behind the scenes that we get a true picture of how your food is prepared and in some cases it’s not one any customer will want to see, hear or smell.

“Cases like this highlight just how important it is to check food hygiene ratings before you book a table or place that takeaway order.

“When the inaction of a food business renders food unfit for consumption or puts customer’s health at risk, we will always take action.”

Leeds City Council regulates all food businesses in Leeds and environmental health officers regularly inspect restaurants, takeaways and shops to ensure they comply with strict food safety legislation.