Family plea for answers after Leeds man is killed by asbestos disease
The family of a man who died from the asbestos-related cancer mesothelioma is appealing for information about his time working as a tailor in Leeds.
Charles Edwin Harrison, known as Eddie, was employed from 1948 to 1974 at Benjamin Simon and Sons Limited, where large presses were used to make clothing.
Mr Harrison, from Garforth, died last December aged 88, just three days after being diagnosed with mesothelioma.
Now his family has asked Thompsons Solicitors to investigate the working conditions at his old firm.
Mr Harrison’s daughter, Christine, said: “My dad was always active, he enjoyed watching rugby with his friends and walking the dog.
“When he suddenly stopped eating we knew something was wrong and we were obviously distraught when we found out he was terminally ill.
“Mesothelioma is such an aggressive disease and dad died just three days after we found out what was wrong with him.
“He spent the majority of his career working for Benjamin Simon and Sons Limited, so we’re hopeful that one of his colleagues, or anyone who worked for the company during the same time period, will share whatever information they have with Thompsons.”
Benjamin Simon and Sons was part of Leeds’s booming clothing industry when the city was the world’s centre of tailoring.
The firm had a factory in Kirkstall Road and its name ranked alongside contemporaries such as Alexandre and Burton.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Helen Tomlin at Thompsons on 0113 205 6385.