Family of six rescued from burning home after ‘candle fire’

Share this article
Have your say

Two adults and four children were rescued from their burning home at about 3am today.

The fire broke out in the bathroom of the house on Gibraltar Avenue, Halifax.

Fire crews from Halifax and Illingworth were at the scene within minutes of the call, which was made at 3.08am.

A spokesman said two adults and four children were all taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation, adding one adult had suffered burns to their hands as a result of tackling the fire.

It is understood the fire started after a candle was left burning in the bathroom. A fire service spokesman said there were also no smoke alarms fitted in the property.

The Beast from the East is set to bring three days of snow to Yorkshire.

Weather warning: Three days of snow predicted as Met Office reveals Beast from the East timetable