Elderly woman rescued from home during blaze

Fire crews were called to a house fire in Shotton Colliery.
Fire crews were called to a house fire in Shotton Colliery.

An elderly woman was rescued by neighbours after a fire broke out at her home.

Fire crews from South Kirkby and Cudworth were called to her home at West Street, South Kirkby at around 1.40am this morning.

An unattended chip pan had been left on by mistake and had caught fire.

The blaze had triggered smoke alarms at the property and the lady was woken up and helped out by neighbours.

She suffered smoke inhalation.

Fire teams said the incident highlighted the importance of having working smoke alarms.

People can contact the fire service to have them installed.

Members of the reformed writing club Savage, pictured at Temple Works (Temple Mill), on Marshall Street, Holbeck, Leeds. Pictured (left to right) Robert St-John Smith, Peter Etherington, Heather Lloyd, Phil Kirby, Maria Protopapadaki-Smith (correct), Ivor Tymchak and Jamie Newman.

Campaigners urge new owners of cherished Leeds mill to reach out - and ‘help us tell and re-tell the Temple Works story’