‘Eat oven chips instead’ – fire service advice after three Leeds chip pan blazes in eight hours

Firefighters have warned against using chip pans
Firefighters have warned against using chip pans
Have your say

A family were rescued from their burning home in one of three Leeds house fires caused by overheating chip pans in the space of eight hours.

Firefighters were called to Sissons Lane, Middleton, after neighbours smelled smoke coming from the end terraced house shortly after midnight.

Crews from Hunslet and Rothwell found the mother and two boys, aged about two-and-a-half and 18 months, taking refuge near a window in the upstairs bedroom.

They were guided to the scene by neighbours using mobile phones. The family, who are thought to have fallen asleep upstairs after leaving a chip pan on, were helped to safety and taken to hospital for a check-up.

That followed an incident on Bruntcliffe Lane, in Morley, shortly before 8.30pm on Tuesday, in which a man in his 80s suffered smoke inhalation after a similar incident.

He was checked over by ambulance service but did not attend hospital.

In the third incident, shortly before 4.30am today, a man in his 50s suffered burns to his arm after fire broke out at his home on Kingsdale Court, Seacroft.

He was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service have issued a warning following the spate of fires.

Area manager for fire safety, Ian Bitcon, said: “It is a great concern to us that we have seen three chip pan fires in such a short space of time.

“Chip pans can be very dangerous as obviously the oil can reach incredibly high temperatures and if that ignites you can have a very serious fire on your hands.

“We advise that people use other methods of cooking – such as oven chips, which may also be healthier!

“However, if you still decide to use a chip pan, never fill it more than a third full and use a temperature controlled deep-fat fryer. As ever, never leave cooking unattended, even for a moment.”