Drunk boyfriend attacked partner with pliers at her Leeds home

Have your say

A violent boyfriend attacked his partner with a pair of pliers during a sustained and degrading night of violence.

Matthew Wade used the weapon to cut into his victim’s top lip and also threatened to take her eye out with it.

Wade, 27, punched the mother-of-three repeatedly in the face, choked her until she blacked out and humiliated her by pouring cans of lager over her head.

During the attack, Wade forced her to hand over a mobile phone and removed the battery. He cut the cable to the landline phone so she could not ring for help.

Wade was jailed for two-and-a-half-years after pleading guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Judge James Spencer, QC, told Wade: “You subjected her to a prolonged period of violence and terror.”

Leeds Crown Court heard Wade and the victim had been in a relationship for three months when he carried out the attack on November 28 this year.

Her three young children were asleep in bed during the incident at her home in the Headingley area of the city

Charlotte Eastwood, prosecuting, said Wade had made arrangements to meet her at 8.30pm and spend the evening at her home.

But he did not arrive until 11.30pm, carrying a box of Stella Artois. Miss Eastwood said: “Some of the cans were missing and her told her he had already had something to drink.”

Wade became angry when the woman told him she was not in the mood to have a drink with him.

Miss Eastwood added: “He called her ungrateful and said she didn’t appreciate him.”

Wade verbally abused her before pouring a can of the lager over her and punching and slapping her around the head.

He then used the can to hit her in the face and cut her nose. He poured more alcohol over her as she was crying and begging him to stop.

Wade then hit her on the head with a glass ashtray and blamed her for making him angry.

He continued to punch her and pour the lager over her several more times before the victim told him that she was cold and needed a shower.

He allowed her to shower but first ordered her to hand over her mobile phone and he cut the landline cable.

While she was in the shower he grabbed her by the throat and squeezed so hard it caused her to black out.

Miss Eastwood said the victim thought she was going to die.

The woman then went to bed but was followed by Wade where the violence continued throughout the night.

He punched her so hard in the face that her eye closed completely.

The prosecutor said: “The defendant picked up a pair of pliers and held them close to her eye and threatened to take her eye out. He then used the pliers to cut her top lip with them.”

The alarm was raised when the victim’s eldest child saw his mother’s injuries and rang his father.

The father then contacted police and Wade tried to run away when officers arrived.

Wade, of Bracken Court, Wortley, refused to comment when interviewed about the incident.

The court heard he has previous convictions for violence and was out of prison on licence at the time of the attack for burglary.

Richard Reed, mitigating, said: “He is full of remorse and shame for his conduct on that night.”

Mr Reed said Wade worked as a painter and decorator and did not usually drink.

He added: “He had met the complainant and fallen in love with her. He was trying to support her and he was doing charity work as well. All this fell apart on this particular evening.”