Criminal Inquiry over LGI bungle

editorial image
Have your say

HOSPITAL staff could face criminal charges over the botched treatment of a Leeds student fatally injured by a boxer, the YEP can reveal.

Jagdip Randhawa, 19, died after being punched on a night out by super middleweight Clifton Mitchell. As reported in the YEP, Mitchell was jailed for seven years on Friday for manslaughter.

But during the trial the court heard Mr Randhawa might have survived had he not been put on a faulty ventilator after he arrived at Leeds General Infirmary.

Police have now confirmed they are investigating the treatment he received in hospital.

Mr Randhawa’s sister Manjinder told the YEP: “There’s a lot to take in at the moment. This is the first we have heard about possible criminal charges.”

Mr Randhawa, who was studying English and linguistics at Leeds University, was on a night out in Leeds city centre on October 12 last year when the incident happened.

He had already been punched to the ground once by Mitchell, from Derby, before being floored again on Albion Street. He suffered a serious head injury after hitting his head on the ground

But he was then put on a leaking ventilator for 46 minutes, causing his brain to be starved of oxygen.

Home Office pathologist Dr Philip Lumb, who carried out a post mortem, said it “made a potentially survivable injury one which was inevitably fatal.”

Staff are now being investigated over possible medical negligence.

A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “An investigation is under way and inquiries are continuing.”

A spokesman for Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust said: “Until they have completed their deliberations there is nothing the trust can say.”

Leeds, Sweet street, 28th March 1979'LIGHTING'Mr. Eddie Mullan, a lift engineer at the City of Leeds Public Works Department, Sweet Street, gives a last polish to one of the four old gas lamps that are to be sent to Germany.

Leeds nostalgia: Bits of old Leeds sent to Germany... in 1979