'We are devastated': Leeds football club has to cancel matches after brand new facilities allegedly set on fire

A Leeds-based football club have been left devastated after a brand new clubhouse was allegedly set on fire.

Monday, 9th December 2019, 6:40 am
Updated Monday, 9th December 2019, 6:42 am

Players and staff at Seacroft Colts spent years raising enough money to purchase a new £2000 facility, which had toilets and kitchen equipment for the staff and players.

However - less than one week after the new building was installed - playing staff discovered the facility had gone up in flames when arriving for their Sunday match.

Shocking photographs show the charred remains of the clubhouse, which were completely gutted in the blaze.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Seacroft Colts

Posting on social media, the club said: "We are absolutely devastated to be writing this but we wanted to make you all aware.

"As many know we don’t have an awful lot compared to most clubs but we have worked really hard as a club over the last few seasons to get to where we are now.

"We have saved, fundraised and spent many hours applying for grants and we finally purchased a new container which had toilets and kitchen equipment and a lot of potential!

"We were really excited about this as it was the first step to improving our facilities and pitches which overall has a positive impact on all the children and families involved in the club.

Seacroft Colts

"The new container got delivered last Saturday but unfortunately last night it was set on fire.

"All the money we have spent on this has been wasted and we will now have to pay even more money to get it removed and we are now back at square one.

"We will continue to work hard and we will not let this stop us trying to improve the club.

"Thank you for all your help. We really do hope the parents will continue to support the club and we hope the players will continue to enjoy playing for Seacroft Colts."

Seacroft Colts

Coach David Mattison, who has spent the last five years helping with the upgrade of facilities of the club, said he has been left 'gutted' by the news.

He confirmed the club had been forced to cancel their home matches due to the fire.

Speaking to the Yorkshire Evening Post, he said: "I myself have gained to improve the facilities over my 5 years at the club, wanting the kids to have the best experience, we always just seem to get knocked back every time we move forward with things.

"I can't explain what happened apart from we got to football this morning and had to cancel all our home games due to the container still on fire."

The club have now set up a fundraiser to try and recover the costs of the facility.