Live updates as police cordon off Leeds Burger King after hammer robbery raid on cash van

Police have cordoned off a Burger King in Killingbeck following an armed robbery raid.

Saturday, 22nd February 2020, 11:00 am
Updated Saturday, 22nd February 2020, 11:11 am
The scene in Killingbeck outside Burger King

Keep following for updates as we get them.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A police CSI van is also at the scene

Live updates as hammer raiders attack security guard outside Burger King

Last updated: Saturday, 22 February, 2020, 11:33

 Hammer wielding balaclava raiders attack security guard outside Burger King in Killingbeck

  • Police cordon off Burger King after raid on cash in transit van
  • Robbers with hammers and balaclavas attack security guard
  • Raiders made off with cashbox and fled scene in SUV
  • Incident happened about 8am and cordon in place until 11am

Police statement in full

A spokesman for West Yorkshire Police said: "Police are currently investigating reports of an armed robbery, which occurred at a fast food restaurant on Yorks Road in Leeds earlier this morning.

"At around 8am, two suspects carrying hammers and wearing balaclavas assaulted a security guard and stole a cash box.

"The pair made away in what is believed to be an SUV style vehicle. The guard was not seriously injured.

"The scene is currently being examined and officers are conducting enquires to trace those responsible.

"Any witnesses or anyone with information should contact the non-emergency number 101 quoting reference 0425 of to

The scene in Killingbeck right now

The scene outside Burger King in Killingbeck right now

Tape around the G4S security van, while Burger King remains closed

Reporter Rebecca Marano is at the scene

"There is tape around the G4S van in a small triangle area. Two police cars are still at the scene and the restaurant is shut.

"I can see police inside talking to staff members, but no members of the public are here at the moment. 

"A CSI van is also present at the scene."

Police begin clearing the scene

The cordon has been in place since shortly after the incident, which happened at 8am, but now police are beginning to clear the scene.

Police cordoned off this G4S security van after the raid

Police put this G4S van behind a cordon
The scene from the road
Page 1 of 1